Weald Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Neither Judd nor Skinners take distance into account except to allocate the last place(s) if there are a number of boys with the same score and only space for one/some of them. They don't have catchment areas.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

sevenoaksdad wrote:Put it this way, fewer than half of children admitted to Judd and Skinners this year came from primary schools in West Kent.
I am surprised by this, from looking at the class lists at Skinners this year it looks like the majority come from Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I can confirm the above, only very few are OOC.
sevenoaksdad

Post by sevenoaksdad »

In-area state 113 pupils out of a total entry for the two schools in 2009 of 244; ie 46%. In 2009 more children were admitted to the schools from out of the area than from all the primary schools in Sevenoaks and Tonbridge combined.
SSM

Post by SSM »

sevenoaks dad, can you tell us where you got those figures from.

As there is more than one of us on this forum that can tell you that there are less than 20 OoC boys at Skinners.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Sevenoaksdad - Are your figures just for state schools or are you including in-county children from independant schools?
sevenoaksdad

Post by sevenoaksdad »

In 2009 four children were admitted one or other of the schools from Groombridge St Thomas' Church of England Primary School, four from Etchingham Church of England Primary School (20 miles away) three from Notre Dame (31 miles away), one from Perryfields Junior School in Essex (50 miles away), two from Steephill School in Rochester (35 miles away), three from Frant Church of England Primary School, one from Godinton Primary School in Ashford (25 miles away), one from St Mary's CofE Primary School in Horsham (45 miles away), one from Colfes School (30 miles away), one from Little Ridge Community Primary School in Hastings (26 miles away), one from Iwade Community Primary School in Sittingbourne (over an hour each way by car) and so on. This is publicly available information which I am sure the schools will provide to you if you ask them.
SSM

Post by SSM »

That is what primary schools the kids went to. It doesn't say anythin about where they live, or have moved to, I'm sure the boy from Essex cannot travel all that way everyday.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

sevenoaksdad wrote:In-area state 113 pupils out of a total entry for the two schools in 2009 of 244; ie 46%. In 2009 more children were admitted to the schools from out of the area than from all the primary schools in Sevenoaks and Tonbridge combined.
I have no reason to doubt you but I find it unbelievable that only 113 boys out of the whole area of Tonbridge, T Wells and Sevenoaks attained the mark of around 411 (Judd's score). I understand that some boys would have gone to independent schools not included in that figure but it still seems desperately low.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

There will be many boys who scored the qualifying mark but chose TWGSB. Based on the fact that only 20 (or thereabouts) boys from out of county went to skinners this year, there must be very few boys from in county at Judd!

I also think that those from Frant and Groombridge are a very grey area because they are so close to the county border.

SSM - You are right, one of my children took the 11+ as an OOC child because of the Primary school she attended even though we live in area.