TW grammar school for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mac

TW grammar school for boys

Post by mac »

Hello all

Wondering if anyone has some reliable information about admissions to TWGSB? I feel fairly clear about Skinners and Judd, but can't seem to find out much about TWGSB. My questions are:

Is there a minimum 11+ score needed?
What score constitutes a 'pass'?
If you get a pass are you guaranteed a place at TWBGS?
How does the catchment area criteria work?

Thanks!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

My understanding is that for TWGSB the position is that you only need to pass the 11+ - ie meet the 360 threshold. Then children are ranked according to criteria which are broadly siblings, then distance. So in theory, you could have a very high scoring child who doesn't get in because they live too far away and score doesn't affect ranking. Have a look at the KCC admissions booklet - if your child is in county you should have got it via your son's school.
SSM

Post by SSM »

The minimum score requirement is a pass which is normally about a combined score of 360 with not one paper being below about 115. This does change by one or two marks though every year and noone knows what it will be until the 11+ results are released.

If you pass the 11+ you are not guaranteed a place, unless you live on the doorstep, as they offer places on distance. However, this year they had to put on an extra class for all the kids that got through on appeal. To be honest I think if you live within a reasonable distance to it, you are very likely to get a place.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

To put the distance in context I understand that last year boys who live in the villages just north of Sevenoaks ( eg Dunton Green, Otford, Knockholt) didn't get places and these were the boys who then got offered places as far flung as Folkstone. Whether they all got places on appeal, I don't know. What will be the cut off this year remains to be seen - it will just depend on the no of boys applying etc
mac

Post by mac »

Thanks for your replies, very helpful. One further query: if you get a pass and live within TW itself, are you fairly certain to fall within the catchment area? Or is it hard to be sure from year to year?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Although the criteria do not give priority to TW ( or anywhere else) I would have thought that living in TW you would have no problem as it is so much nearer than say Sevenoaks.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think most of the kids living in Sevenoaks and the surrounding villages did get places in the end. I presume if they hadn't it would have been in the news and we would know.

I would say, that as long as the criteria doesn't change, it is highly unlikely that you won't get a place if you live in TW.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now