Weald Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aron

September 19th at Weald Grammar School

Post by aron »

I am new to the forum and my dd is an OOC candidate who sat at weald GS for the test on sep 19.There were around 60 other girls who were divided into three groups.I was told by friends that I can apply only for a place in TOGS and am extremely nervous about the whole situation.
My DD said the exam was OK except for VR which towards the end was a bit tough and she had to guess few.
Does anyone know how many seats are available for the Tonbridge girls grammar school this year and approximately how many candidates have written the test.?
Desperate Dan

Re: September 19th at Weald Grammar School

Post by Desperate Dan »

aron wrote: Does anyone know how many seats are available for the Tonbridge girls grammar school this year and approximately how many candidates have written the test.?
Hi Aron,

There are a minimum of 35 OOC places given at TOGS.

I believe that around 2000 OOC children took the test. Other websites might be able to tell you.
SSM

Post by SSM »

You can apply for places to any of the Kent GSs if you sat the 11+, however the chances of getting a place is a different story. TWGGS and Weald all allocate places on distance where as TGS does allocate some places on score. I'm sorry but I don't know what the percentage is or what the score cut-off for them normally is.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

As far as i am aware the OOC cut-off for TOGS is around 411. But i'm not completely sure.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I have a daughter in year 9 at TGS. In her year the "cut off" score for out of area candidates was 5 points lower than that for in-area candidates. So don't assume that it will necessarily be harder for your daughter to get a place than for anyone else.

I think that the school generally has about 4 candidates per place, but of course those might not all be "first choice" candidates.
Starina

Post by Starina »

I have a dd in TOGS in yr 8. OOC cut off was 408 and in county 407. I believe last year the cut off was higher - possibly 411 for ooc. I am not sure for in county.
Hope this helps.
aron

Post by aron »

Thank you for all your reponses.I don't know whether I could apply for any other schools than tonbridge girls grammar school.B'coz thats what everyone told me .
Its really sad to know that there are only 35 seats and so many candidates.Its so unfair .I sincerely wish my dd gets a seat at TOGS as she had worked hard and she will be shattered if not.
If she doesn't make it ,will it help if we move somewhere near to that place and then appeal?
Desperate Dan

Post by Desperate Dan »

Hi Aron,

That would certainly help an appeal but ideally you would need to move before 6 November (not easy I know) so you would have a Kent address on your CAF.
Desperate Dan

Post by Desperate Dan »

aron wrote:Thank you for all your reponses.I don't know whether I could apply for any other schools than tonbridge girls grammar school.B'coz thats what everyone told me .
Its really sad to know that there are only 35 seats and so many candidates.Its so unfair .I sincerely wish my dd gets a seat at TOGS as she had worked hard and she will be shattered if not.
If she doesn't make it ,will it help if we move somewhere near to that place and then appeal?
Don't give up all hope. Although the OOC pass mark was 408 last year and 411 the year before don't forget that your DD only has to beat that score. I.e. if she scored 415 - 420 then she would have an automatic place. And of course remember that 140 in each test equates to around 75%.

If she's worked hard it is achievable.
aron

Post by aron »

All your reponses are like a therapy for the anxities and stress.Thank you all..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now