Simon Langton Girls ~ Canterbury

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi
Don't know for sure but have heard it was about 6ish miles last year for boys. We are in H bay and don't know any boys who got in from our area last year. As I say tho, not rock solid info. Girls I have no idea about! sorry. Katel will probably know as she seems to be a bit of an 'oracle' regarding schools round here in our neck of the woods.
:)
We are lucky in that the sibling thing should be our saving grace. Which is your first choice, Langton or QE?
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

I think the boy's langton was 8 miles according to the head's speech at open evening but the feeling seems to be that it will be smaller this year. Girls' school is 25% bigger so their catchment seems to go further but have no child in Y7 so not sure how much bigger.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Thanks for that info. Let that be a lesson to me, never listen to the playground parental grapevine :oops: :)
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Thank you for such quick replies. :) Trouble is,we can only guess.
We have put QE as first choice,we live on the outskirts of Herne Bay,and playground gossip tells me that no one from HB got in last year and yet most years we would have stood a good chance.
I know I have taken a huge gamble but will have to wait and see.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes, I heard the same. Have put QE also as second tho anyway because co ed would probably be better for our boy, and we liked the school. Didn't think we stood much chance for Langton and was not sure it would suit him. Fingers crossed for you anyhow. Did you look at Chatham House? We couldn't go due to illness but I understand lots of H bay boys go there. No idea what it's like tho!
Monicas Mum

Post by Monicas Mum »

Hi.
We have Langton as first choice followed by QE for our DD.

Don't want to panic you but did you go in the geography room at QE, you had to draw a line from the school to where you lived, the teacher said that last year those from the other side of Whitstable and Herne Bay did not get in. We are about 1 mile out from last years Langton catchment but I am not panicking yet, you never know who else is putting what on their forms so the catchment could change this year.

keeping everything crossed for you all

xx
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Yes, I know we have little chance,but you never know,and we also loved Dane court which is our second choice.
I dont think my chances would have been much better with the langton. The head at QE did say that they had a lot of siblings last year that the dont expect this time round,but they obviously dont want too many people backing off for fear of not getting in.
I was surprised at the amount of faversham parents trying for the langtons, very discombobulating :D
observer

Post by observer »

The cut off for the Langton girls was about 7.5miles last year and the boys was under 6 miles. I spoke to the Heads of both schools. Not sure what it will be this year.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Yes,they were the distances we were quoted when we asked.
It has always been a bit of a gamble with the langtons if you live in Herne Bay,but now that it seems to be the same situation with QE our choices are limited. But I do realise that we are lucky to have choices :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now