One Year to go,...and counting!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scattydolores

Post by scattydolores »

I will be in teh class of 2010 too. My eldest has just started Y7 at TWGGS and my next one is also a DD. We did not have a tutor and DIY'd so we will do the same for the next one. DD1 was the first year that hte 11+ was in September but we did not really do anything much until just after Easter. I was very keen for her to get to the grammar school without much tutoring as having been through TWGGS myself I knew how tough it could be. Our school assessed the children after Easter and said then that she was suitable for grammar school so we then started work. She picked up NVR very easily (which was good because I jsut did not get it!) so we spent a lot of time on VR and working out tactics for each type of question rather than doing lots of papers. With maths, we have always spent a small amount of time each day just doing times tables, doubling and halving, number bonds etc. I usually do this while we were walking to school, just five or ten times tables questions or some doubling and halving just to get their speed up.

Because of the change in date of the exam and because many parents were worried that the exam would have the same content as before (ie, teh children who sat the year before had a whole extra term's maths education) I arranged for DD1 to have about five hours' one on one private tuition during the summer holidays to finish off the maths syllabus and to check if there were any weak areas that we could do a little work on. I won't do this for DD2 because she is much brighter than DD1 and also the school has now been able to adapt and make sure the children are well up to speed on their maths.

After next year, I might still have to do this twice more as I have two sons (in Y3 and Reception) so will definitely be grey haired and a lot more worry lines by the time September 2015 comes round!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...you can count me in for the class of 2010 too! At this point in time it looks as though my child will be the only child in the class not to have a tutor. I have been asked so many times who he is going to etcetc but now feel like a social outcast. The decision not to tutor was not an easy one but had to be taken for financial reasons. We have two children but the youngest has a severe learning disability and at present we are paying out approx £400 per month to get her the help she needs which the school cannot/will not provide and until I can find more work we cannot afford a tutor. I know it is not the be all and end all but it is hard as the inference from other parents is that he is at a real disadvantage. He is a bright boy and I hope that the work that we will be doing at home will be an acceptable substitute.Our school dont say until Easter who they will/will not recommend to take the 11+. This seems a bit late considering it is in September and current year 6 parents say they only had 11+ practice when they got back to school in September!! Panic...me? Never!!!!!
Dilemma

Post by Dilemma »

Hi Tigger2

There are so many great tips and links to sites with practise materials, i'm sure it will make life a whole lot easier.
I'm really grateful to have found this site and even more grateful to those who have contributed with their wealth of knowledge. I hope that I will be able to do the same for others at some point.

Trouble is I don't know about you but i'm finding it hard to know where to start.

It all seems very daunting when you read these threads, but I am trying to stay calm and get organised for the task ahead!!

Don't panic, we're in this together :wink:
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

Dilemma
It's really easy, all you do is buy the Bond books for the subjects your son will need - they even do one to assess your child so you know where to start. Don't buy too much, just one book for each area (VR/NVR etc) and then get into a routine doing a bit most nights. Think of a reward system, and be really positive about it. And you are so lucky because you've a whole year to prepare. I would start now, though, so you can relax nearer the actual test. So, 4-5 Bond books, and off you go! That's all we did with both our DS and our DD and it's worked fine so far. Good luck! :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Can really recommend the 10 minute test books too. They are from the Bond Series and really do focus the mind and keep things ticking along. We only started working for 11+ in Year 5 and son just got 410. Really do believe in little and often.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

You might like to read the threads in the VR section about Bond VR books not being compatible to Kent/Bexley VR tests!!
Dilemma

Post by Dilemma »

Thank you Crazydaisy and doodles for your recommendations, you make it sound very easy ! :wink:

Well Done to you both and your children !

Bexley Mum 2 - will have a look at the VR section - thanks very much for the tip, i must admit i'm surprised as the Bond books are the ones that get the most mention on here. I'm off to the VR section right now !! Thanks again
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I don't know if anyone else used this site, but I found that 11plus co uk was a great help with practice papers.They have some you can download for free and others your dc's can do online.There are also some games on there that teach but in a fun way ,I have to admit I got addicted to a couple of them :oops:
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:You might like to read the threads in the VR section about Bond VR books not being compatible to Kent/Bexley VR tests!!
They are good for early practice though, because they are age graded. Can move onto the more appropriate papers nearer to the test.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

dadofkent wrote:
Bexley Mum 2 wrote:You might like to read the threads in the VR section about Bond VR books not being compatible to Kent/Bexley VR tests!!
They are good for early practice though, because they are age graded. Can move onto the more appropriate papers nearer to the test.
What age / school year is it best to start your DC on some light VR and NVR practice with the age related Bond books.., ie although they are not 100% compatible for kent but will do for early practice..?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now