Anybody chosen Skinners from Langton/Rusthall area ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hamster

Post by hamster »

bingybongy wrote: You are right, schools like Tonbridge, Kings Canterbury have a great scholarship/bursery system, but other than that you are looking at £30K pa plus extras per kid, which is superich territory. No way do they have the same demographics as Judd and Skinners.
The fees for Sevenoaks were approximately £16K when we looked into it recently and this is a very highly regarded school.

Tonbridge School fees are £21,500.Kings are £20,500.

Maybe you are looking at boarding fees?
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

doodles wrote:True, but they didn't take Girls all the way through the school until about 20 or so years ago. When I was at school everybody went to Tonbridge / T Wells to school. That's how it has always been.

There used to be a thing called a Kent Scholarship and you used to get 100% of fees paid to a private school in the area. However, there were very few such scholarships on offer, and you didn't apply you just got a letter a few days after your 11+ results came out telling you that you had been awarded a Kent Scholarship.
In my day (1979) I believe that there were 20 Kent Scholarships per year for the whole 11+ contingent in the county. I went to Sevenoaks on one - only had to pay for lunches (plus uniforms etc) for 7 years. The best scholarship now is only for 20%, apart from one sixth form sports scholarship. There are means-tested bursaries for those who are genuinely poor, but not for the boringly middle-class like me.

Even though I would now think of myself as comfortably off, I couldn't commit to paying the fees for my 3 kids to go to Sevenoaks. At £16.5k per child plus trips etc (call it £18k), grossed up, you are looking at taking £90,000 PER YEAR off the top of your pre-tax income (or £54k off your post-tax income). That's like buying a brand new high end BMW each year and then throwing it away at the end of the year. It's more than four times as much as the mortgage payments on my large mortgage. etc etc Certainly not an option for the average household, even in wealthy Sevenoaks...
doodles

Post by doodles »

tired dad - completely agree. I went to a local girl's school on said scholarship in the 70's too. There is no way we could commit to private secondary education for 2 ds and it's not just the fees/trips etc it's the other things when you are there.