2009 Raw Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

reddebs wrote:Hi dadofkent can you explain more as I am not sure how this would make a difference across the 2 tests.
Regards
Given to understand, although not confirmed myself, that the Kent test is standardised against a National (largely non-11 plus prepared) sample.

Whereas the Medway test is standardised against only the Medway (largely 11 plus prepared) cohort.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

reddebs wrote: I had heard that there was a large number of OOC applicants for Medway - could they have attained the higher marks I wonder?
I have heard of a couple of top marks on the medway test coming from a certain private school in Rochester.
:lol:
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

I have asked for December born raw scores
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

I know this has been covered before but can anybody give me a concise guide to standardisation. I have always shied away from trying to understand this and based my workings on vague concepts like adjustments for age but it sounds like there is a lot more,to it than that and perhaps I need to understand it more fully.
Regards
red_debs
ambermcs

Post by ambermcs »

OMG , when our d;s scores came through being 140 vr 138 maths 137 verbal i was overjoyed as being a sept birthday thought had done so so well, did the bexley test too and came in top 180 got both standardised and raw scores, her standardised KCC score was better! but the bexley raw scores dont equate to what first post is saying, ie she got only 4 wrong in maths = 131 and 5 wrong in vr which was 129. we have always been told at school since yr 3 of doing all three nfer tests that she can only afford to get max 6 wrong in 11+ for her to fail,
i am astounded that to pass for a 120 mark you only needed to get 54 % correct!!!! it is all such a joke and a minefied of pass and fail isnt it! just so glad that she passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

I think the way some schools standardise NFER tests may well bear no relation to the actual Kent test. My dc is Sept born and in school NFER tests never got above 130 and would also be often below 120. In the real thing dc scored over 410. When i found out her raw scores from school I found out that 2 wrong gave her 126 and 4 wrong 110!!!

This can give parents the wrong impression. It concerns me as well that if a dc did not do well in the real Kent test, the school may not appeal as they may think they have no evidence of GS ability.
committed

Post by committed »

I completely agree.

My DS scored 47/50 in a Maths test and was given a standardised score of 127...(April birthday) When I said it was a completely unrealistic measure she just shrugged her shoulders and said that was the way it was. Possibly if everyone in the class is getting 50/50 then the one person who doesn't may get a 127 measure but it is not representative of the way that the 11+ would be scored.

So, if you have been given your childs NFER scores from your school, you may want to think about getting the raw score as well - because they may not measure it correctly - or the paper may be so easy that it won't differentiate ability and those that have made a couple of silly mistakes will be heavily marked down.

Back onto this year's test - I am interested in what Kent will do next year for Maths, because I'm sure they won't want to keep it at the level it was this year? :?
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Its all very odd. My son last year got 29/50 and his raw score was 122. This was standardised to 125. So, he got 3 points for being a June birthday.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I know that this might make me sound dense but does anyone know if the NFER scores would vary from year to year? Have spoken to a friend this morning on this exciting subject ( I really should be getting out more!) and he has told me that he asked their schools HT the very same question. His comment was that he has always asked for the raw scores and realised over half term that his son had the same raw score for maths three years running from yeasr 3-5 but the standardised score was very different I don't feel quite so bad asking this because his HT couldn't explain it either so if anyone knows the answer that would be great!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Some of you are talking about NFER scores from school (not the 11+ score) - what tests are you all talking about?