Shifting goalposts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PB Mum

Shifting goalposts?

Post by PB Mum »

Having done this 11+ thing two years in succession (no easier second time around, is it?), and kept in touch with Mums still at DCs' school, it seems that the scores haven't been as high this year... I don't know that many raw scores, but has anyone else the impression that the 'bar' has moved higher? Is it due to increased numbers taking it (who might otherwise have gone to private schools)? More tutoring? Or perhaps it's not happening at all?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

We have exactly this problem in Bexley. Look at the statistics thread in the Bexley section.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Do you mean the scores in your school? I'm assuming that you do because the scores are all standardised against each year group.

It seems that the number of children in Kent who sat 11+ was slightly down on last year but number of passes rose by 81. OOC candidates sitting were 115 higher than previously but passes fell by 105 children so the percentage of OOC passes was lower. Overall, roughly the same number of children sat the tests.

I don't know of any stats on private vs state results though, so if anyone has these to hand it would be interesting to see!

It might just be a yearly fluctuation in the children sitting the 11 plus in your school - this year in the 3 schools closest to me (all OOC schools) the pass rate was highly variable, even though the expectations had been very high. A number of children, who had been expected to pass sufficiently well to qualify for Skinners and Judd failed to come close to the required mark and a sizeable number failed to pass.

From a previous thread, apart from the maths, the raw scores seem similar to previous years - 75% required for VR and NVR, but 84% for maths.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

This is from the original thread (raw scores thread)
committed wrote:I have just received the raw scores from KCC. They wouldn’t give an average score, so I asked for a September birthday score.

To achieve 140, a child with a September birthday would need the following raw scores

VR: 60 – out of 80 questions – 75%
NVR: 54 – out of 72 questions – 75%
Maths: 42 – out of 50 questions – 84%!! :shock: :shock:

To achieve 120, a child with a September birthday would need to achieve the following raw scores

VR: 43 = 54%
NVR: 39 = 54%
Maths: 28 = 56%
The higher maths raw score is perhaps due to there being no algebra this year - from what I understand the maths was more problem solving, with many questions having 2 or 3 parts. Overall it would seem perhaps easier than previous years.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now