School allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

;kysiesmum

School allocation

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I was curious as to whether anyone knows if the HTs know which schools our dcs are allocated before we do and, if they do how far in advance they are told?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

If you mean HTs of the school where your child will be offered a place then yes, they do know well in advance. Not sure about the primary HTs.
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

Sorry should have made that clearer...I meant the hts of the primary schools they are attending.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes the schools know before the parents get the results.

I can;t remember exactly how much before.

Heads can appeal during this period and so some children will never know that their test score was not high enough.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I don't think the Primary HTs do know.

Two years ago my neighbours daughter passed 11+ but didn't get into 1st choice, a local Grammar because they were oversubscribed, wasn't allocated 2nd or 3rd non-grammar choice because of oversubscription, but given a non-grammar school they hadn't put on form.

The horrified parents phoned the primary school and the HT was extremely surprised! As far as she was concerned, she knew the child had passed the 11+, had seen the SCAF form with Grammar on it and presumed the child would be allocated grammar.

Therefore the HTs know about the 11+ results but not the allocation of places because a computer at KCC in Maidstone works all the allocations out, hopefully correctly! Also, many parents now apply online so the primary HT doesn't even see the SCAF form.

If things have changed in the last couple of years, please do correct me!
doodles

Post by doodles »

IPP - I think that you are correct about the procedure. HT's knew the test results before we did but we get to know the allocation before them.

We did form online and had to give the school a copy. We will get email on 1st March and letter on 2nd I understand - though am happy to be corrected. Got me thinking now may ring KCC on Monday!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry , I misread the question :oops:

They know results but not school allocation. We had to ask the children which schools they were going to as nobody actually gave us the info
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I thought we would find out first but during an unrelated discussion with my ds' head a couple of days ago they made a comment about the fact that only my ds and one other boy were going to the gs we had chosen,it's not the closest so not the obvious choice and also we applied online so the head wouldn't have seen the SCAF,so it made me wonder if maybe they knew something we didn't.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

That's very odd! I can't think of how the HT would know, especially if you applied on line and the HT did not see your SCAF choices.

May be he/she is psychic, is married to a Grammar HT, or has hacked in to KCC computer!
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

Or it could be wishful thinking on her part simply because it is further away and she has less chance of seeing him around the village :lol:
He is not known for being the easiest of pupils :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now