When are the appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fluffy66

When are the appeals

Post by Fluffy66 »

Hi

Not sure if this is more relevant to the appeals section or Kent section, please move if necessary.

I know appeals are heard from end of March to the beginning of July but does anyone know how it is organised for the different schools.

We will possibly be appealing to the grammars in Dartford and Gravesend, so firstly is it a different appeal for each school or just one big one for everything? Also on a very early thread (2006) it seemed to indicate the grammars appeals were more May/June time.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks x
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hello Fluffy, (brill name by the way!)

I don't know about appeals that were held in 2009, but do know about 2008 as that's the year we appealed for DD2 for non-selective school, but also had lots of friends who appealed for Grammars.

I know the following;-

Gravesend Boys - early April (held by the school so quickly done) none granted
Gravesend Girls - late June (held by KCC appeals so took longer) 51 appeals/19 granted
Dartford Boys - early June (ditto) numbers unknown
Northfleet Girls - early June (ditto) 54 appeals/20 granted
St Georges - early July (held by the school but not well organised so late) over 50 appeals/6 granted

When I contacted KCC appeals section in the April, they told me that the Grammars usually heard their appeals first, before the others, because some people appealed for Grammars and non-selectives. If their Grammar appeal was successful then they usually withdrew their appeal for the non-selective.
But as you can see from the above dates, that didn't happen in 2008!

Many that year passed the 11+ but were not offered Grammar places, or non-selective places, but schools not even on their SCAF. That year many secondaries lost 30 places for their year 7 intake because KCC made them take a smaller amount because of falling birth rates (haha, don't know where they got those figures from) and the smaller schools being built to replace the older ones.

Some schools had over 50 appeals so held them monday to friday. The appeal panel then decided on the friday if any were to be granted. Letters were not then printed till the following week, then posted 2nd class. Those who had had their appeal the previous monday felt they had waited an eternity!

Hopefully someone will be along with knowledge of last years appeals. Good luck if it comes to it!
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Hi Inkypinkyponky

Thanks for that. I suppose it makes sense for the grammars to hear their appeals first.

Do you know why some school hear their own appeals and others are heard by KCC?

We are still undecided what to do at the mo, although it does very much depend on which non-selective school we get.

Fluffy
PS it was my old cats name.... we now have one called Inky!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think whether a school is a Foundation school or Community/Voluntary Aided school decides whether KCC or the school conduct their own appeals.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hi Fluffy,

I'm sure medwaymum is correct.

If the school sets it's own entry requirements by being a church school/voluntary aided etc, then it seems to conduct its own appeals.

Other schools are happy to have KCC appeals team organise the appeals, perhaps because the school itself cannot then be accused of being biased?

The exception seems to be Gravesend Boys Grammar which is happy to do its own appeals.

It can be a stressful time because you see your child's future changing if they don't get the school you want. My DD2 wasn't even aware that we had appealed and my husband is so laid back to be almost horizontal, so it was just me being all stressy! The KCC appeal team were very professional, organised and easy to talk to, so that was good.

It's hard to know now whether to appeal because you obviously don't know what's been allocated yet, so hope the allocation letters next month bring good news.

(P.S. That's really spooky about your cat being called Inky! It was a nursery rhyme my Dad and sister used to sing me, and I had a rabbit called Inky because it was white with what looked like black inky splodges on it!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now