No Grammar School Place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

My understanding is that an Out of Area child lives in Kent but in a different education system (e.g. Paddock Wood, which is comprehensive or in Cranbrook which has a 13+ entry), or in an area not covered by a particular school's catchment. An Out of County child lives in a different county or borough.

Edited note: this is what I have assumed to be the case from reading through past threads, so I am more than happy to be corrected if I am wrong. But be kind to me if I have! :?
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I suggest that you read the stuff from KCC again, with particular attention to the map showing the different "schemes of education". You will see that Paddock Wood is NOT in the same scheme of education as TW. TW is in the selective (ie 11+) scheme; Paddock Wood is in the comprehensive scheme based around Mascalls. As Mascalls is very oversubscribed you naturally were not offered a place there without putting it on your CAF.

Basically, you are in the same position regarding Kent grammar schools as if you lived in another county. There are two boys' grammars that take boys from your area on the same basis as in area candidates: Judd and Skinners. As a result of this wider competition, higher scores are required to gain a place. I assume that your son did not get those higher scores. Hence no grammar place. I still think that you have a good chance of a place coming free before September, but I'm afraid that you will be behind any in-area boys on the waiting list. If you keep your son at his current school for year 7 you can still go on the grammar school waiting lists each year in case places become available later.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes and if your appeal this year is not successful, you can appeal once for year 8, once for year 9 etc. You may have to resit selection tests each year.

All sounds like a lot of hassle, but if you are expecting a drop in income as you suggested in OP, and you really don't want a comprehensive in your area or a non-selective in the selective area, then this may unfortunately be your only option.

Good luck
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Just 1-2go

We are slap bang in Kent but in an Out of County area because we come under the parish of Paddock Wood and are therefore under the comprehensive school Mascalls.

Made me panic when I found out but luckily have been offered MGGS for our daughter so feeling very relieved.
Alfie
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It is complicated

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/fam ... entrds.jpg

this map shows the are covered by KCC which is the LEA responsible for teh Kent Test. It is a smaller area than the county of Kent, for example Medway is a different authority.

There are also people like you who are on the border of another county too.

if only things were simple :roll:
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

yoyo123 wrote:It is complicated

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/fam ... entrds.jpg

this map shows the are covered by KCC which is the LEA responsible for teh Kent Test. It is a smaller area than the county of Kent, for example Medway is a different authority.

There are also people like you who are on the border of another county too.

if only things were simple :roll:
But, there are still different Schemes of Education within Kent, and which do not come under the 11+/selective system.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Wrong map yo-yo :)
The relevant one is in the admission to secondary schools booklet and shows the different schemes of education within the KCC area i.e. 11+, 13+, comprehensive or 3-tier.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

And how come I can't even manage to insert an emoticon correctly? Hopeless, truly hopeless at this, I am.
WP

Post by WP »

Kent99 wrote:And how come I can't even manage to insert an emoticon correctly? Hopeless, truly hopeless at this, I am.
You had disabled smilies on that post. I have unticked it for you. You might want to change the setting in your profile.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Thanks! Let's see if this works. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now