Herne Bay parents,we need to lick our wounds !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes, can see what you mean. Whilst a quick name change from 'non selective to 'all ability' will cover a multitude of sins
WP

Post by WP »

hamster wrote:I also know someone who was offered a place at a grammar school that was not one of the 4 on her list but was the closest in distance.
Again, that would only be possible under the council's declared procedure if the school was undersubscribed.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Is the admission booklet something every parent gets when applying for secondary or is it a question of us parents digging that out to find information? The thing that worries me most is that KCC seem to be regulary changing the goalpost every year and this seem to have been the case with Herne bay. It would be so much easier if this information was in black and white :cry:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

certainly when my children went through Secondary transfer every parent received a booklet with details about each of the schools, their location,and admission criteria. I am fairly sure that has not changed.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes, we got the booklet. Oversubsubscription criteria published for each school in order of how it is applied. The only thing that obviously cannot be predicted is who will chose which school, in what order and how many of them? The partial 'superselection' of boys with higher vr scores at Chatham House seems to have made a difference around here. Plus I believe they have less places after combining into a'federation' with Clarendon House Girls.
A few years ago it seemed vast majority of us were lucky enough to get pretty much the Grammar of choice. Occasionally you 'only' got your second. Now it seems you are lucky to get one at all, chosen or not! It has been like this for a long time in other areas. Now it has crept down to Herne Bay and whitstable who now seem to be stuck in no mans land.
Just my view!
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

The one thing that confused me with the booklet, when i read through our appeal options today, was when it says Planned admissions numbers.

Chatham House says planned admissions- 90, Offers issued on 2nd march 2009-111.

How does that work? did they really offer 21 extra places on allocation day, thats before any appeals have been heard.

Confused as usual
jingle

Post by jingle »

Would that be planned admissions for THIS year? and 111 places offered last year perhaps? Not sure as have left the book in the car and too cold to venture out in my dressing gown!
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

That would make sense actually as they are dropping a class!!

LOL Clever you!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Blakesmum wrote:The one thing that confused me with the booklet, when i read through our appeal options today, was when it says Planned admissions numbers.

Chatham House says planned admissions- 90, Offers issued on 2nd march 2009-111.

How does that work? did they really offer 21 extra places on allocation day, thats before any appeals have been heard.

Confused as usual
They had a higher PAN last year, 120 I believe. I can email you last yeras admissions booklet if you want (quite big pdf file).
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

ok why not might make a good read !! ;0)

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now