Hi, new to 11 plus and clueless :)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

out of area

Hi, new to 11 plus and clueless :)

Post by out of area »

I'd be really grateful if someone could break down the composite score for me. I understand you need around 412 for grammar schools in TW area. Is this score made up of just maths, verbal and non-verbal, ie you need to be scoring 130 plus on each paper, or is the creative writing piece factored in?

Many thanks!
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

The creative writing does not feature in the scores. Generally it's not taken into account unless going to appeal.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the writing is only used if the child is borderline. I don;t know much about the Tunbridge Wells area, just that passing the Kent test doesn't guarantee a grammar school placeplace
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

And initial cut-off scores for the super-selectives this year are:

Judd - 415 but not all boys on 415 have been offered a place
Skinners' - 410 with a few 409 scores included
ToGs - 407 for OOA/OOC girls, again with not all girls on this score offered a place.
bingybongy

Post by bingybongy »

Putting it simply, a pass in each paper equates to a score of 120. To get this you need roughly 50% in a paper (this varies from year to yeae depending on how difficult the paper is). So an 11+ pass is 360 points in total.

If you score around 75% in an exam (again, this varies from year to year) you get a maximum score for that subject of 140.

Do that for all 3 papers gives you the maximum score of 420.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

kentsussexborder wrote:And initial cut-off scores for the super-selectives this year are:

ToGs - 407 for OOA/OOC girls, again with not all girls on this score offered a place.
Forgive my naivety, but why do some get offered a place and some with same score not? in some areas ofcourse that may be due to the distance from the school but isn't TOGS superselective iei distance doesn't matter?
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

For TOGS distance comes into play in the event of the same children getting the same score and not enough places for them all.

There are also separate scores for 'in area' girls and 'out of area' girls (405 & 407 this year).
SSM

Post by SSM »

bromley mum wrote:
kentsussexborder wrote:And initial cut-off scores for the super-selectives this year are:

Forgive my naivety, but why do some get offered a place and some with same score not? in some areas ofcourse that may be due to the distance from the school but isn't TOGS superselective iei distance doesn't matter?
The easiest way I can try and explain this is using an example.
Lets say The Judd school has 120 places. They start offerring places to applicants witht he highest scores that have put them on the CAF, they work their way down the list until all 120 places are filled. But the chances are that they can not offer every child with that score a place. They would be able to offer every child, that chose them, and has a score of 416 a place, but then there may be 30 children with a score of 415 that want The Judd, but there may be only 10 places left, so they would then offer these places to the children on 415 that live closest to the school.

I hope the above makes sense, I had terrible problems trying to word it to be coherant.
out of area

thanks so much

Post by out of area »

Big thanks! This is really helpful stuff. I am coming from a totally different school system and have been mistranslating!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Welcome to the forum, Out-Of-Area.