are there questions to be answered by KCC

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yeah, but I think that it is when people have been allocated a non-grammar school that they suddenly start to think "well really I would have been happier with that grammar school than the non-selective, I just had not envisaged this situation fully at the time".

Which are the correct impressions I don't know - the thoughts one has when filling in the CAF, or the thoughts later when mourning the potential loss of a grammar school place (potential loss only, as lots can change through waiting lists and appeals).

Good luck
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

frustrated wrote: we went by advice given to us that 'if we only put grammar schools down, we would definitely get a grammar place, but not necessarily one of our choice'
That was incorrect advice. This years Admissions Code says those that are not offered a GS place may be allocated the nearest available non-selective or all ability place.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

The advice quoted was given to me by both the admissions team and choice advisors. If only I had made note of their names, I could complain, although it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

I have considered other grammar schools and wondered how we would have felt if we had put them down instead and been offered, but am at the same conclusion.

Now, what to write in my appeal?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't know. You need to go the appeals forum. You know why your child needs this school rather than the non-selective on offer, or the more distant grammars. People in that forum may be able to help you turn those feelings into grounds for appeal.

On the thing about admissions saying that if you put all grammars you would get a grammar, I have an e-mail from admissions somewhere to this effect. Will dig it out now. I was puzzled by what they said as it did not fit with the wording of the admissions booklet, as Villagedad points out.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I would love to know what the e-mail said.

I am very worried that it would come up at the appeal hearing as to why I put the all abilities school on my SCAF anyway. I'm sure they shouldn't take that into consideration though?

We had very strong reasons why the grammar schools of our choice were the best choice for my son, so I will just state the reasons and hope it is good enough I think.
katel

Post by katel »

Frustrated you posted "Seeing as Borden is the only grammar within easy access of Canterbury,"

No it isn't - there are several others. Or am I minunderstanding you?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Sorry, sentence should have read 'Borden is the only grammar school within easy distance of Canterbury that still have vacancies'. My mistake, must type slower, and read before I post! Whoops :shock:
katel

Post by katel »

frustrated - are you saying that your child passed the 11 plus, you live in Canterbury but he didn't get a grammar school place? That can't be right, surely/ I know people from Faversham who've got places at Langton.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have to say the Kent forum is full of posts that don't make much sense at the moment. Wonder if people hit the bottle on 1 March.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Katel, are you talking about Simon Langton Boys School, and if so, did your friend get in on a sibling link or other reasons apart from distance? We live in Central Whitstable, but Faversham is still further away than we are, and we missed out by 0.4 miles. I was told that SLB went out 6.9 miles.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now