Any thoughs on Wilmington Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2010 mum

Any thoughs on Wilmington Girls?

Post by 2010 mum »

Does anyone have any though on wilmington girls? Anything will be helpful.
Thanks... 2010mum
chismum

Wilmington Girls

Post by chismum »

It seemed a nice enough school from the open evening. Trouble is, it doesn't compare to Dartford which is less than 2 miles away!

Still worth putting down as a banker.
Lass

Post by Lass »

I know lots of girls (and their parents :D ) that are very happy with Wilmington Girls. We looked at it this year and we were pleasantly surprised. It has a lovely feel about it. It is a bit smaller than Dartford Girls. We were really impressed with the mini laptops each girl has and I know from a friend who's daughter is a bit slack that the school have a very good communication system with parents.

For us, we felt that Dartford was more suitable for our daughter as we felt they would push that bit harder. But really there were positives to both schools so it was hard to weigh it up and make a choice. Ultimately our daughter preferred Dartford and we were happy with that.

Probably our biggest concern was that most of the girls seem to leave Wilmington at 6th form stage - a long way off for us at the moment but worth considering why they would do this? I believe their results at GCSE have been very similar to Dartford - however when you compare A Level results Wilmington dont come out too well.

I've heard that last year and this year there have been places available after allocation at Wilmington and I know of a few girls that have got in on appeal.

That's all I can think to tell you about it - I'd certainly recommend you taking a look and getting a feel for the place (if you haven't already). The girls I've known that have attended Wilmington leave there as lovely young ladies and I do think the school has a lovely atmosphere about it.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Lass wrote: The girls I've known that have attended Wilmington leave there as lovely young ladies
Thanks Lass, I'm an old girl :wink: , with emphasis on the old though!

I left in 1985, OMG, that long ago?

I went to an 'old girls' open day last year and was disappointed at how run down and grubby the whole place was.

It was friendly though, as much smaller than Dartford Grammar. The really bright girls always went to Dartford Grammar beacause they studied Latin and Classics and were very academic. Wilmington seemed to take the not so high 11+ scorers, but as the girls were still at the top of the cohort, the results were always below Dartford Grammar, but way above other local schools.
Sounds similar situation today, so I think a shufti round the school definitely helps, and knowing whether a child thrives under pressure, or prefers less 'hothousing', but still has high expectations to learn.
2010 mum

Post by 2010 mum »

Thanks chismum, Lass and inkypinkyponky for all your comments and will take on board all comments especially relation to 6th form.
Thanks... 2010mum
chismum

Results at 6th Form

Post by chismum »

I think that the point about the A level results is a very good one.

All schools are selective at the 6th form, even for current students. So, it isn't really fair to judge a school on its A level results, as those students that do best at GCSE might go elsewhere for any number of reasons. And your DD may want to move on at that stage, too. A lot of people go private just for the 6th form, and some go into the state sector, from private, because they think they'll have a better chance of getting into the degree course they want. (Not sure if it works, however.)