Grammar schools near(ish) to Whitstable

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WhitstableJo

Grammar schools near(ish) to Whitstable

Post by WhitstableJo »

Hello,

I haven't been in the area very long, so these are going to be newbie questions! My daughter is 10 now and I'm slightly concerned about the Kent test and schools when she moves on from primary education. I've Googled and can't find an easy way to see all the available options for her. Assuming she passes her 11 Plus (eek!) what are the options, and chances of getting in to a Canterbury grammar school? Is it possible she'd have to travel further afield, or even go to a regular local comprehensive?

Hope someone can help out. As an aside I'm not a huge fan of all this pressure at 11, and would rather she went to a mixed school rather than same sex, but I guess there aren't too many options with all this. :)

Jo
katel

Post by katel »

Traditionally, kids from Whitstable go to QE in Faversham - but I understand that there have been problems with this this year - the catchment has closed in a bit. Whitstable childern also go to Barton Court and the Langtons, but once again - not such a sure thing this year. Someone will be along with more concrete information soon, I hope!
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

Well, there are lots of options but it depends exactly where you live.
Girls Langton spread out alot further than the boys, as they take an extra class. So i would call them and ask if they reached to where you live this year, just to get an idication for nx yr.
Barton Court i believe reached the outskirts of Herne Bay and Whitstable, but not across the thanet way (from what i've heard) and QE (faversham) only those on the farside of whits seem to stand a chance at getting in now.
There is Clarendon House Ramsgate and Dane Court at Broadstairs so she would get the train.
I think Barton Court and QE would be a struggle to get into, so Dane Court is the only other mixed one.
Clarendon are moving on to the same site as Chatham House Boys, but the schools are remaining seperate.
There are plenty of H/bay, Whits, and faversham kids that get the train to Clarendon and Dane court so she certainly wouldn't be alone.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi WhitstableJo

It depends on where exactly in Whitstable you live?

We live in Central Whitstable, and as it stands, my child has not got a grammar school place at all, even though he passed the Kent Test.

This year, the Canterbury and Faversham grammar schools reached to the Tollgate end of Whitstable, I believe, and QE in Faversham has just reached the the middle of town through waiting lists.

If you live near the Tollgate (Joy Lane), or Chestfield way, you may have a good chance.

Every year is different, and the schools usually reach out a good distance, it's just the last couple of years that they haven't managed, although this year they reached further out than last year.

Simon Langton Girls reached as far as Swalecliffe as they have more places. QE is going up a whole class size next year, so there may be a very good chance considering that they did eventually reach through the town this year.