Tonbridge Grammar School for Girls - amount of homework

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Tonbridge Grammar School for Girls - amount of homework

Post by mystery »

Just had someone tell me that their current year 7 or year 8 daughter has had 3 hours of homework every night since their first week in Year 7.

Does this ring true?
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

No!! DC in y9. I have never noticed homework. Did less last year than dc in yr 5. Certainly doing all asked for - happy parents evenings. Really can't imagine 2/3 hours a day homework.This year it has been more but even then an hour - averaged out - a night and slightly more at the weekend would be the most. Could be things have changed further down the school - but seems unlikely.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that's a relief. But I wonder why the huge discrepancy? Might someone there who was struggling in the current Year 7 or 8 take this long over it?
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

More info on other threads on this site would suggest the same as me. I can only imagine that the dc involved loves the work and therefore enjoys a greater depth of study.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

:shock: My daughter joined TGS last September and she has had very little homework. I have been amazed by how little they get. She probably averages about 3 hours a week and as most of it does not have to be in for over a week, she rarely does any during the week. My daughter in Year 6 gets far more homework than her sister and it all has to be in the next day.

I am sure it depends on how quickly you work and possibly how much you get done in the lessons as much of it is finishing off school work, but I cannot possibly see how this could take more than an hour or so each night max.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now