so who is going to the adjudicators meeting next week

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

so who is going to the adjudicators meeting next week

Post by mystery »

And which side are you on?

Unfortunately I really cannot go to this meeting. A great shame.

I vehemently oppose any admissions policy which discriminates against children who live over a county boundary. I live in Kent, in a selective area.

I want the current policy of selection by score at the superselectives to remain.

I hope there is a good debate with sensible well-founded arguments on both sides, not just foundationless moaning and hype.
westkent

Re: so who is going to the adjudicators meeting next week

Post by westkent »

Have been reading this forum avidly during the run up to this year's 11+ and have found it so useful and just a little addictive too! Everything I know about the process I have learnt from all you contributors so thank you for handing on such great tips and info.

We will be at this meeting and we too strongly support the idea that things should be left as they are. Stunned that it might affect this year's children who have worked hard, irrespective of where they live, only to be told they may now not be eligable no matter what their score. I'm really not totally closed to change. We have 2 more children who in time may also do the 11+. If it is desirable that things change (whatever my views to the contrary) then so be it but I find this idea of rushing it all through at the 11th hour very unsatisfactory for not only this year's candidates but also will it bring the best decision given its need for speed?
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Hi there,
I totally agree.
Whatever your situation and wherever you live, it is not fair to move the goalpost at the eleventh hour. All of our children have been working hard and have sacrificed all of their free time to study and prepare.
I hope whatever decision is made that they could at least delay impllementing it, so that anyone starting to think about the 2012 entry has a clear view on the admission policies of each school to enable them to make the correct choices for how and if they even sit the tests.
Good luck to everyone taking the test in the meantime, i just hope hope it has been worth all of the anxiety!!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I can't go to the meeting either. However, I agree that, irrespective of whether you are for or against change, then making a change now is too late for parents to make an informed decision about schools. There is no mention in the admissions booklet about all this so people may go around schools thinking they will send their child school x or y, and then find that option taken away, or the goalposts changed. Possible options of what could happen, if any, should have been put in the booklet.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I couldn't agree more, despite the fact that a change in the process would make it easier for my youngest, I would really feel for all those children who have worked so hard and are doing the tests today and next week if they are then told that actually it was for nothing.

I suppose KCC could argue that the children aren't supposed to be prepared for the exam, but we all know how much work, stress and in some cases money does go into it.

Either myself or OH will go to the meeting but I am actually sitting firmly on the fence for this one, with a son at one of the schools and one hoping to go its a bit of a double edged sword for me, I don't want the school to change but it would take some of the strain off my youngest if it did.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now