How long before we know the results does the school know?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSM

Re: How long before we know the results does the school know

Post by SSM »

I don't know much about Medway but from what I understand if they do a HT review they then can't appeal unless they supply new evidence. I may have that totally wrong.

The advantage of a HT appeal is that a HT can appeal for a child which was expected to pass and, if the appeal is successful, that child is then 'deemed suitable for GS' (as KCC put it) so they should not be disadvantage when putting GSs on CAF. If HT appeal fails, then there is nothing stopping the parents from appealing to a GS once allocations are made.

I hope that makes sense.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

But the point still remain why is it done behind the parent's backs?

Surely its assuming every Head there is competent and objective enough to appeal for the borderline cases who were expected to pass. In the first instance how do they judge those who were expected to pass? If its maths then perhaps thats more straight forward but how about VR and NVR, do they rely on Year 5 SATS which we know there isnt a special resemblence between the two.

I know what I would go for given an HT appeal/review or a parental appeal. Doing things behind our back just isnt right.
Impossible is Nothing.
maidmum5

Post by maidmum5 »

Now I feel slightly worse knowing that HT knows and we don't :( the next few days are going to be fretfull and I'm going greyer by the minute!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't worry you will come out on the other side I promise you.

Hopefully none of you will have to rocky a ride but if you do and need any advice just "holler real loud" and somebody will pop up and help you.
westkent

Post by westkent »

Last year a friend's daughter missed the Maths pass mark by 1 point but had passed the other papers quite well.

When the result came she had failed the 11+ as the HT had not appealled as she didn't consider that she was "suitable for Grammar school education". Parents of course were still able to appeal later after school allocation but would have preferred to avoid it obviously.

HT may well have been right in her opinion but I know I would have been furious that it wasn't even discussed with us at that stage.

However, it is the system and with all its faults it is what they have to work with.

Thank you doodles - just read your post!
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

My stomach churns just knowing she knows and I dont know. W ehave harvest service at school this Friday and It will be hard to keep a straight face. anyhow Bexley result is out in a couple of weeks, so will have to hang in there.
Does that mean my ht has the result of the Bexley test now as well?
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

i didn't think they received the results until Friday of this week. As an OOC I am not sure how involved our HT gets involved in this process either.
Also, I am not sure about anyone else, but the wait for the results is very, very painful! I cant get my head around looking at schools until we know the results to be honest. I certainly wouldnt want my DS to get his hopes up when he doesn't know if he has a chance of getting in.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The past days I had put the results behind me but today I feel sick. Just knowing "they" know and we dont. I feel much worse than when they sat the test. I need just need some tranquilizers and hair dye to see me through to the 18th :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I am so relieved. A proposed trip to the US for work has just been cancelled. Would have had to be in the US for the wk comm 11th of Oct till about the 20th. it seemed that things were going against me.

I feel so relieved. Should be working from home that week and looking out for the post man. I dont think I can face my dd later in the afternoon to tell her if things dont go well (i better start some prep talk from next week so no big dissapppointment)

The wait is draining
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

blessedmum wrote:Should be working from home that week and looking out for the post man.
I think thats worse though Blessedmum. Maybe we could swap roles for the next few weeks. :lol: I feel like I just need to run away from all this and come back when all is done. The thought of sitting refereshing to see if results are through is sickening me right now. I have told myself to stay away from the computer on that day but we shall see. :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.