oooh all the books have gone!!! and reading headteacher!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hdq2907

Re: oooh all the books have gone!!! and reading headteacher!

Post by hdq2907 »

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by hdq2907 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Alot of complaints against the 11+ are based on the fact that it is one set of exams on one or two days and may not reflect the true ability of a child for a number of reasons, eg, bad day, extenuating circumstances, nerves etc. A great number of people advocate that the decision of who should and should not attend grammar schools should be down to the childs current teachers, the thinking behind this being that the teachers know the children best.

I think the Kent test attempts to address this. It aims to select the most able 25%. As part of this 21% are selected by passing the exam papers with the remaining 4% being selected by the HT review. The HT review is based on the schools knowledge of the child, examples of their work to date which would show high ability and the written paper taken as part of the test but only used in the case of children expected to pass who have failed. I may be wrong but I think those on the panel for the HT reviews are all Head Teachers and are therefore able to judge the work put before them.

Because the HT review is part of the selection process, parents can then appeal any non selective decisions. This allows for appeals in the cases of failed HT reviews where perhaps the school were not aware of extenuating circumstances. Or cases where there may not have been a HT review for whatever reason.

I do understand how you are all feeling, having been in your postion awaiting results. It is very hard when you are aware that others know your childs results and you dont. I dont think it is the intention to be underhand or secretive, they are just following the selective procedures.

Thinking of you all and hoping you all get the news you want on the 18th
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

very well put "A Mum" :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

For us though, the HT appeal was massively flawed having left out the most critical details which the school new the full extent of and I found out only when pushing the school to explain the lowest score from DS's historically best (by a very long way) paper.

We went on to win our case at an appeal several months after the schools allocation process and that resulted in DS missing out on attending school with his siblings. He would, without doubt, have got a place had our appeal against non qualification been heard before allocations. That said he is very happy and while we intended to apply for a place in year 8 and appeal all over again he doesn't want to because he was made friends and settled, besides KCC are funding his travel so is there really any need?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

T12ACY wrote:, besides KCC are funding his travel so is there really any need?
Thats good tracey - how did you manage that? or is it normal in kent? in the medway we only get free transport if our child is attending the nearest appropriate(selective or non-selective) school and lives over 3 miles away. If they cant get a place there then its the next appropriate etc
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

T12ACY I saw your agonising pain with appeals and I am happy it worked for you in the end. You didnt have to go through all that. It is for these reasons that I find it shocking the inconsistence and cherry picking that happens with 11+ HT appeals. Its just not fair for HTs to get an upper hand at the last straw yet they were quick to tell us when we started that they have nothing to do with 11+. The idea behind HT appeals is a noble one but the process is deeply flawed.
Impossible is Nothing.
committed

Post by committed »

I really debated posting again – but as my friend and I are being accused of being unprofessional I felt I should. A large number of posts on this forum are based on information gained from discussions with people within the system and this information is generally posted to try to help others – as mine was. Certain people decided to pick on my particular posts and have done so in a very unfriendly way. I know many of us are in the midst of the terrible wait, but it doesn’t mean that we have to be unkind.

In respect of HT appeals, there is no doubt that the process is flawed and that certain HT’s will be better than others and more willing to put themselves out - and I really am sorry for those who find themselves let down, as you undoubtedly were T12acy. Whilst that doesn’t make it fair, I really am astonished that those who are trying to do their best for their students should suddenly find themselves at the sharp end of comments. Indeed, whilst my DS wouldn’t find sitting another maths test out of the ordinary, they do tests all the time, I’d like to think that if he realised that he was doing it so that a child in his class (whether or not it was him, a friend or even just a peer) would have the opportunity to possibly get a place at a grammar school for 7 years he would be happy to do so. Regardless of whether he gets a grammar place or not, I want him to grow up knowing that doing things for others is what will make him a better person.

Forums rely on the thoughts, opinions and information from all sorts of people and all sorts of sources. I am pretty sure that anyone new reading this forum will not be attracted to sharing their views if they feel they are going to be shot down. Some posts have certainly made me think about whether I want to be part of this community.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Committed - fwiw I think your post was extremely useful. Sorry that the responses have left a poor taste. I have a friend who is asst head of a school, and HER child along with mine has just sat 11+ - what a dilemma - thank goodness in Medway we don't have head review - which like Sherry says is a bit rich as the school do say they have no interest in the 11+ :(

I know my DD2 would NOT get through a HT review, but she might just pass the test ;)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

committed wrote:I am pretty sure that anyone new reading this forum will not be attracted to sharing their views if they feel they are going to be shot down. Some posts have certainly made me think about whether I want to be part of this community.
I hope you arent going to leave as your contribution are valuable, while I didnt agree with what the teacher did, its insight into the underworld of HT appeals. We have been and still do get shot down at one point or the other and kind of develop thick skin over time. Its a public forum and some people are bound to have opinions diff from ours. Hope you dont get put off from posting in the future.
Impossible is Nothing.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

committed wrote:Forums rely on the thoughts, opinions and information from all sorts of people and all sorts of sources. I am pretty sure that anyone new reading this forum will not be attracted to sharing their views if they feel they are going to be shot down. Some posts have certainly made me think about whether I want to be part of this community.
Hi committed, i certainly do not believe your comments were inappropriate. Its a great insight into what goes on and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

it seems lots of people are tense now and every litle thing is tripping people up. At the end of the day, all our dc's will get a school place. yes it will be really nice to get a grammar plcae but we should all realise that with a lot of love, support and patience our dc's will do well wherever they go. Getting a grammar place is not where their lives end.

What most children want to know is that they have parents who love, believe in them and will support them. Lets not forget that there a lots of children that transfer into Grammar schs for A levels and two kids i know this year have gone from some of the worst schools in the borough to get A level places at top grammar schools this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now