Which School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherry_d

Which School?

Post by sherry_d »

How are you deciding which school is the right one for your DC? We still have to wait for the results but I am sure most of us have an idea of what to put on the CAF.

How did or are you going to make your first choice preference?

Is it based on your gut feeling, what your DC prefer, facilities and extra curriculum, school's reputation, league tables (though I doubt many will admit which is ironic considering this is an 11+ forum :? ), the Headteacher, nearness to home or just other factors like sibblings in the big school.
Impossible is Nothing.
blessedmum

Re: Which School?

Post by blessedmum »

I still dont know my preference for the caf form. I think its because we have not got the results yet. The Bexley result this thursday will make things clearer. also none of the Bexley grammr schs have had an open day yet so it makes it difficult to decide, deciding now will be based on reputation of the schs.

Thursday seems like a week away, I can barely sleep. :? :?
Lemmie

Post by Lemmie »

My DS is diagnosed with High Functioning Autism so that's another element for us.

For me...

Talking to Parents with children already at Secondary
League tables
Visiting on Open Evening and taking into account DS's opinion... looking at Facilities, Staff and listening to the Head.
Talking to the Senco on Open evening briefly and making an appointment to go in and discuss Pastoral care.
Travel has been in the back of my mind, primarily because our DS will struggle on public transport.

From that we've shortlisted down to 2 Schools and are now going back in for individual tours.

We have a plan A & B in place now for whichever way the results go... I just hope we get our 1st Choice either way in March.

I don't think there is a right way or wrong way or going about it. I do wish I'd known about this forum a lot sooner though. I know there are some things I would have done differently.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

For us:

A combination of gut feeling/dcs gut reaction after visiting, (although (like most I'm sure) I only took them to the schools I thought would suit them)
Nearness to home.
Interestingly I didn't really look at the league tables, but I knew the schools were thought to be good anyway by reputation.
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

I havent decided quite yet on which non selective to put first if dd doesn't pass. There is only one grammar that we are in catchment for but 2 really good non selectives. One is a bus ride away and that is putting me off a little, be great for dd to walk. The other thing is mixed vs single sex - I am not thoroughly convinced that single sex is better. WOuld appreciate others thoughts on that one?? I think my fear is teenage girls all together and dd having to deal with friendship issues/ insecurities etc that seem to affect girls so much more than boys. Hmmmmmm not sure :? :?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sherry - your confusion as to how to choose the right school for your child echoes my thoughts exactly. Its such a BIG responsibiltiy and affects them for the rest of their life.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Its really hard, its much easier if they pass but its the other options which are much harder because then you have catchment areas and not much to chose from really. I am probably relying more on hunches now :shock:

We wont have much time to think about choices after results, I just have one more school to see depending on results otherwise I am sort of there.

Did you like Judd?
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now