Tonbridge Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ang's mom

Tonbridge Grammar School

Post by Ang's mom »

This is for a friend of mine. Her DD has written the Kent test. On the chance, that she gets high enough marks for TGS, she has a doubt. It's a bit strange and I had thought many times over before deciding to raise it here.

She is worried if her DD would be the only asian girl in TGS. I have no idea , although I know TGS used to go by catchment area a few years back and hence would probably have a high percentage of white girls. But after the admission criteria changed, does non-white girls go for TGS ? Maybe not a high percentage, but atleast a few.

Can anyone, who has a DD at this school , shed some light on it ? Some details would be helpful.

I have mentioned that they have an open evening some time this week, but I think she may not make it as she can't get away from work. Unfortunately, although this is one of the schools on my list, I haven't been able to visit it either. As the day for filling in CAF approaches, she is quiet worried.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
neurotic kent mum

Re: Tonbridge Grammar School

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Please do not worry, two dd at the school, children from a range of backgrounds are well represented. :)
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks neurotic kent mum.

Do DD's from Orpington generally go to TGS ? How far is TGS from Tonbridge Station ? Does TGS have a coach service from Sevenoaks station or Tonbridge station ?

Apologies for the deluge of questions. It's all a bit worrying at the moment.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Lots of girls (100s) walk from the station - about a 10 minute walk. Many catch local buses.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

There are a few asian girls at the school, but not that many. I have just asked my daughter how many "non-white" girls she thought there were in her year and she could only think of 4 (out of 150), plus a few friends whom she happens to know to be mixed race. That said, she said that no-one cares what race anyone is anyway and it is just not an issue. I seem to remember that (if you wish) you can tell the school what race your daughter considers herself to be when you return the registration forms and if possible they will then try and make sure ethnic minority girls are in a form with someone else of similar origin.

At the moment girls do come in from Orpington (generally by train I think) but that may change after the adjudicator's ruling.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks Kent99. That was very kind of you to ask your DD.

Yes, I know the adjudicators ruling can change everything.

What do you mean by "when you return the registration forms" , which form is it , please?
Is this the form you submit , if you have been allocated TGS in March ?

I don't know where I read it and if it was in relation to TGS, its about coaches from Sevenoaks station, taking DC's to their secondary school. Maybe I am confusing it with something else. With the Kent results out tomorrow, it's all a bit of a muddle at the moment anyway .

Thanks.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Children in Sevenoaks are entitled to free transport to schools in Tonbridge. The coaches go from the surrounded villages and the town itself, maybe this is what you were thinking of? I'm not sure where children from outside the county stand with catching these coaches.

From Orpington, I would say the easiest would be by train.
Billie

Post by Billie »

I have an asian friend who had the same concern about TOGS. In fact she specifically asked the lady in charge of admissions. The response was a bit offhand, as in obviously there aren't many as it's not that in sort of area, but my friend did see a few around the school so she was happy and is hoping for TOGs for her dd. What I found interesting was that she was concerned about Newstead because it has so many non white girls.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks SSM and Billie.
Fretting Mum

Post by Fretting Mum »

Hi there, don't know much about how many girls from ethnic backgrounds go to TGS but my dd is in year 7 and there is an Asian girl in her form. The best thing would be to ring the school, they are very helpful and would be able to advise your friend