Post results-need help with school rethink!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Post results-need help with school rethink!!

Post by scarlett »

My son was told that he was borderline to pass the 11+ by our ht , but has gone on to score a high pass and now we need to rethink schools! We have missed the Judd and Skinners open evenings,but really are thinking of Maidstone boys, which we had also discounted thinking our poor son would only scrape through ! I know the open evening is tomorrow, but anyone got any experience/advice ? I heard that Judd etc is a bit elitist, and I want my son to feel comfortable and happy, any ideas on that too ? Also how hard are any of them to get in ?( we live in the Malling area .) Thanks. :)
sherry_d

Re: Post results-need help with school rethink!!

Post by sherry_d »

Scarlet if you want Judd go for it dont listen to those who tell you all the elitist tosh.

Your son is good enough for all those schools as he passed with a good enough score. Base your decision on where you think your son will thrieve just not what grapevine says. I am sure after the open evenings you'll have a much clearer idea of which school that may suit him better.
Last edited by sherry_d on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Well done to your son!

The cut off score on first allocation for Judd was 415 (but went to distance and not all boys on this mark got a place) and for Skinners' was 410. The scores reduced slightly to Judd at 415 with some 414 boys, and Skinners' also down a couple of points, although I'm not sure of the exact score.

Judd has reputation of being elitist but this is undeserved - certainly any children that I know who go are happy with the school and don't seem to regard themselves as 'better' than anyone else.

My DS is at Skinners' in Yr 7 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - he has settled very well and is really enjoying his time there. They take good care of the boys when settling in and even though DS wasn't into rugby before he started, he has discovered he actually quite likes it!

Try calling the schools and ask for a visit during the next couple of dayss if you can.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Very well done to your boy :D

I`m in east Kent so can`t comment specifically on the schools, but I have a friend who got a pass( on the sussex border) they weren`t expecting and have rearranged to see several schools privately before half term.
Give them all a ring and see as many as you can.....then you can chose which suits. What a lovely situation to be in :D
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

Last year both Judd and Skinners ran tours after the 11+ results came out. My personal experience of both was there was little evidence of the elitist reputation people talk about although if I had to choose I'd say Skinners is the more aspirational of the two (nearly £100 for a blazer... splutter, cough). In the end DS chose Judd because it has an RAF section in the CCF. So far he's loving it and there has been no sign of any 'elitist' issues and he didn't come from the private sector, he went on his own from a state school that had all sorts of OFSTED problems.

I suggest you call both schools and ask about the tours and make your own mind up.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Judd have tours every Tues morning as well as official Open Days/ eves. You will need to ring up to book a slot. Half term starts on Thurs eve so not sure whether you will manage to visit before the CAF form needs to be submitted tho?

My DS is in Year 7 and loving it. They work the boys hard and expect al lot of them but I wouldn't say it was elitist. Lots of boys from the state sector - inc mine. There are definitely boys from the Malling are in Year 7 although I don't know how they get to school - why don't you ring KCC to see whether there is a school bus?
Billie

Post by Billie »

Well done!
I have seen from he who must not be named's website that if you are sending your CAF to Kent you have until 5th November - check with Kent CC admissions. This could give you a bit more time to have a look at the schools.
Bat120

Post by Bat120 »

Hi
I have just read your original post and it mentioned MGS. My son is in year 8 there and is very happy. He was the only boy from his (very small) primary school that went there and we wondered how he would fit in, but he is thriving. I think it helped that he likes to get involved with stuff, so joined the choir and got into the rugby and cricket training, which enabled him to make friends with boys other than just those in his own form. He travels in to school by train so there are also his "train friends" who aren't in his class. So although its a big school it tries hard not to be!

As I'm sure you are aware, MGS has their open evening tomorrow night so you still have time to have a good look around before the CAF deadline.

Good luck!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks everyone !! :D I think if ds likes maidstone boys we will go with that , as it is near and he knows alot of children there / may be going.Who knows if we will receive it in March, but I think we stand the best chance with that school. Good to know that people have children at ALL schools who are happy....I think that might just say it all !!!
music-mum

Post by music-mum »

I can throroughly recommend MGS, my DS has just gone into year 12 and has enjoyed just about every minute from Y7 up, and done really well. He came from a small prep school with small classes, and we worried about how he would find such a big school, but no problems, even though he was in a different class to his friends. We also looked at Judd as he scored highly enough, loved it but chose MGS on gut feeling and also it was much closer so easier travelling. Great school, best of luck!