Roch Girls,Simon Lang Girls/Boys,Maid Girls - Science subjs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nigs

Roch Girls,Simon Lang Girls/Boys,Maid Girls - Science subjs

Post by nigs »

I live in East Kent and am trying to make my mind up for a Sixth Form choice for my DC.

As she is doing quite well with her Science subjects at the moment, I am more interested in Science subject results at A-level for the above schools.

I am yet to visit these schools (open days for Sixth Form later this year and early next) but was wondering if anyone could offer some advice either through experience or research that you have already done. Ultimately, I will have to visit each and see if it is the right school for her but I am looking at the proportion of A*-A's (maybe A*-B's) that they produce in the Sciences and Maths.

Sherry_D, if you are online, would you be able to help? I loved your detailed analysis about RGS/Chatham on a different thread. I have looked at the league tables but do not find the information given as detailed in terms of subjects.
sherry_d

Re: Roch Girls,Simon Lang Girls/Boys,Maid Girls - Science su

Post by sherry_d »

I have looked before and still have my rough sheet when I was looking at RGS, MGS and Invicta. This was based on 2009 results because some of the schools still havent put the subject breakdown for 2010 but they dont change much. This is all based on nothing else I know about the schools but a snapshot of the results breakdown.

Last year they had A as the highest grade so this is how things were on those achiving the highest grade. In Maths there was really not much difference among the three

MGS 15 out of 35 (42%) achieved the highest grade
Invicta 14 out of 38 (38%)
RGS 18 out of 29 (52%)

Moving to chemistry the gap start to widen
MGS 3 out of 13 (23%) achieved the highest grade
Invicta 3 out of 14 (21%)
RGS 10 out of 23 (43%)

Biology
MGS 6 out of 26 (23%) achived the highest grade
Invicta 14 out of 46 (30%)
RGS 12 out of 31 (39%)

Physics
MGS 4 out of 22 (18%) achieved the highest grade
Invicta 3 out of 12 (25%)
RGS 3 out of 7 (43%)

Overally RGS does quite well in the sciences. I had a quick scan at years prior to that and this year and they are consistently good in sciences

Will try and dig Simon Langton later. The boys one would be interesting and it would only be useful if they put a breakdown of boys and girls. They are some schools that do really well in the sciences and but when you look closely girls will be underperfoming in the sciences.

I dont know what your daughter wants to be but if she wants to be a Medic then you may need to look more closely at how the schools perform in Chemistry because most Unis want a top grade in Chemistry for Medics http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Wh ... y_Medicine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impossible is Nothing.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

The Langton`s should do separate scores as we only allowed boys in the sixth form at SLGGS this september :wink:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry what would we do without you :!: :?: :lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Ha ha ha I have too much time on my hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I am rubbish at finding info so I look forward to this.

My OH is a senior research scientist and DD1 is very " sciencey"( :shock: at my choice of terminology) as she`s already at Simon Langton.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Simon Langton Girls

Maths 60.4% 26 students
Physics 51.7% 14 students
Chemistry 20% 35 students
Biology 43% 41 students

2008 Chemistry was 24%. It was high in 2007 41% so it maybe there is a new teacher who may not be as good as previous one.

Simon Langton Boys

Maths 38 out of 78 students (49%)
Physics 23 out of 86 students (26%)
Chemistry 15 out of 53 students (28%)
Biologys 8 out of 63 students (12%)

One very striking thing of all these schools is boys are still doing more traditionally boy subjects the sciences while very few girls are taking sciences even at the girls schools.

Simon Langton Girls seem to be good in the sciences but they are down in Chemistry which is a really important subject for budding medics. It may just be down to the current teaching.

Just as a caveat to the figures above. These shouldnt be used for the sole reason of choosing a school. The reason I dig this information is to find a school's subjects strength and its weaknesses. Some schools are more newer subjects heavy ie pyschology, business studies etc while other are more traditional subjects heavy so it depents on what rocks your dc's boat.

One thing I have seen to be true in most cases is that if a school offers Latin its more likely to be more traditional subjects heavy while those without Latin are more into newer subjects. Thats doesnt mean Latin is important, you can make your own conclusions. Horses for causes :?
Impossible is Nothing.
nigs

Post by nigs »

Amazing stuff.

Sherry you are going to have to start charging a fee for your research. :D Thanks for the data. Odd that so many boys take science subjects but not many pull through.

Looks like I am going to have to decide between Simon Langton Girls and RGS as they both seem quite strong. I take your point about Chemistry (medicine being what my DC would like to do, all being well). I also did some research on Further Maths and SLG seems to come tops - not a large intake - 3-5 entries per year but at least 2 or 3 get A's.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now