School choice order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WP

Re: School choice order

Post by WP »

Sausages wrote:Does anybody know if you were to put a school in 2nd place on your form and you were then offered your 1st choice place, can you then appeal to get your 2nd choice school or do you then have to accept your 1st place choice?
I don't think you can, because they won't have rejected you. (You will have rejected them.) Just put them in the order you prefer first time round.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks for your replies, but I think I didn't phrase my question well.What I mean't was due to Bennett being oversubscribed and so very strict on attending church etc, I would be interested to know if my ds1 had been accepted by them ( so then, we are deemed " churchy enough " ) and then I may not need to put my ds2 through the trauma of the 11 +....and I don't think he would suit grammar,after seeing the schools. ( as, he may then be accepted as well )I know that the individual schools don't know if it is your 1st or 4th choice,only the KCC do.I just wondered whether I could find out from admissions which schools had accepted my son, because I shall just know what school we have been given.Just thinking ahead for the next one !!! But I think maybe I need to get out more and not spend so much time on here !!!!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

WP I think you can appeal on any school named on your CAF and our admission booklet says on p18
Being offered a school doesnt mean you cant appeal for any of your other choices, or ask about being put on the waiting list for any spaces that may come up at these schools.
I think there was also confusion if you could appeal for a school not named on your CAF and it says
After 4 April you can also apply to the LA Admissions Dept for Y7 place at as school you didnt name on your original SCAF.
Scarlett I get what you mean now, my guess is they probably wont tell you.

Out of interest Scarlett does Bennett really take other Christian who arent Anglican? I am thinking that perhaps by the time they get to that criteria they are full already. I have read their criteria again just now and it seems we are actually high up on the criteria. We are actually in the C section :D This has thrown a whole new world and I am getting really excited. The commute from Maidstone will be a bit horrendous though since I did that commute myself for a good few years when I was working there. Even driving it took me an hour...I was thinking of sending my CAF next week but I may have to wait until the 5th now and hopefully they will let me see the school.
Last edited by sherry_d on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

About Bennett - our friends are NOT churchy and told Bennett exactly that - they DID get in... not everyone is churchy and we also have acquaintances there who are Salvation Army.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

Scarlett - I would not [resume that because they accept DS 1 at Bennett they would accept DS2 as things change from year to year - there are no guarantees at this game!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Really?

I thought you had to be at the heart of the Church to get in there?
Impossible is Nothing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

thanks Sherry d
Yes they do take non anglicans, it's stated in their over subscription criteria as below anglican families involved in the church, but if you are involved in your church, you come above anglicans who just turn up once a month.One of my friends who live i just outside Maidstone, near Bearstead, has children who go and they attend a non anglican church.....but are quite involved.It's worth a try !! It's such a nurturing school and they stream the clever children, like your daughter..... :)

Madasahatter........I know that there are no guarrantees from year to year,but it would be useful to know !
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sherryd I've just read your edited post ! I think you should be excited ! I used to travel there from West Malling ( I went to school there ) and I had a great time on the bus ! It was a school coach and went straight into the school, she may not necessarily be on a bus from Maidstone that she has to change on to another one, and we all used to do some of our homework or read books, chat....go on ds probably these days ! but I never dreaded the journey.Look into it,and then you can make an informed decision.The receptionist, Katherine Wagstaff is lovely and so helpful.I'm sure she may be in school next week for 1 or 2 days ? You could send her an email ?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

We are certainly involved and are at the heart of our church. I am just located where your friend seem to be. Do you know how the kids travel to T/wells? It seems there is one more avenue open now, I just dont want to get carried away just yet but I am definately going to persue it.

Thanks Scarlett for telling me about this option :D :D :D . One more reason why this forum is so fantastic. I just wish there was no half term next week so I could go and see the school. Good grief I feel so excited.....
Impossible is Nothing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My friends son is picked up by a school bus which takes him straight to the school. The school will know about transport arrangements etc. How annoying that it is half term !