2010 Required Raw Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
committed

2010 Required Raw Scores

Post by committed »

KCC have confirmed the required raw scores for 140 and 120 marks. They have provided the information on the basis of age at the date of the test. As always caveats apply.... :D This was the required score for the 2010 Kent Test only and it does differ from year to year. However, it may be quite useful, especially the age standardisation effect.

To achieve 140:

Aged 11 years would need the following raw scores (percentages have been rounded)

VR: 63 out of 80 questions - 79%
NVR: 50 out of 72 questions – 69%
Maths: 40 out of 50 questions - 80%

Aged 10years 6 months the required score is:

VR: 61 out of 80 questions - 76%
NVR: 49 out of 72 questions – 68%
Maths: 39 out of 50 questions - 78%

Aged 10years the required score is:

VR: 58 out of 80 questions - 73%
NVR: 48 out of 72 questions – 67%
Maths: 38 out of 50 questions - 76%

To achieve 120:

Aged 11 years would need to achieve the following raw scores

VR: 42 out of 80 questions - 53%
NVR: 38 out of 72 questions – 53%
Maths: 27 out of 50 questions - 54%

Aged 10years 6 months the required score is:

VR: 39 out of 80 questions - 49%
NVR: 37 out of 72 questions – 51%
Maths: 26 out of 50 questions - 52%

Aged 10years the required score is:

VR: 36 out of 80 questions - 45%
NVR: 35 out of 72 questions – 49%
Maths: 24 out of 50 questions - 48%
tiredmum

Re: 2010 Required Raw Scores

Post by tiredmum »

wow for VR thats 6 marks difference between the oldest and youngest test takers! :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you for doing the research and posting that in to the forum. Please could it be turned into a sticky?

It all goes to reinforce the message that when most kids come out going "it was easy" or "it was difficult" really it's meaningless, as you can get a lot wrong and still get a pass or the top score, and in reality, most of them got a lot wrong. They just don't realise it because the answer they got was one of the multiple choices answers.
dunemigrating

Post by dunemigrating »

Thanks for posting this information - it's interesting to see that there isn't much difference between the NVR and maths scores with the ages. My son is a July child and we can really see the difference between him and his friends who are nearly one year older, both in maturity and academic skills. What I'd like to ask, though, is, what is a 120 raw score and 140 raw score - forgive my ignorance?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

dunemigrating wrote:What I'd like to ask, though, is, what is a 120 raw score and 140 raw score
120 is the standardised score which will give a pass i.e. 3 papers at 120 will get an aggregate of 360 and pass the Kent test. However Kent test pupils can score lower (to a minimum of around 115-117 in recent years) and still pass the 11+ if their aggregate is over 360.

140 is the maximum mark that is allocated per paper (3 papers at 140 will give a maximum of 420 scored) but will contain a range of raw scores from around 70% upwards, depending on the paper.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I'm very sorry to doubt but has this definitely been published by KCC as official figures? Looks like there's a lot of potential for 140's and hence 420's, if that's the case. Bit worrying!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

franticmum wrote:Looks like there's a lot of potential for 140's and hence 420's, if that's the case.
For the very clever children yes that may sound easy to achieve but for the majority of Kent children its still an impossible task :?. That information is available from KCC if you request it under freedom of information so yes its official KCC word. I am intruged you think there is a lot of potential for 75%+ :shock:. Surely thats the beauty of Kent that most of our grammars arent superselectives and around 50% on all three gets you in. Mind you some children still fail to hit that seemingly low mark :(
Impossible is Nothing.
committed

Post by committed »

Hi franticmum. This was confirmed to me on email by KCC - but it is not 'published' by them. A tutor friend who asked for the same information got the same answer from a different person within KCC. I did cross check it against the separate thread on raw scores and it looked to be wholly consistent. It is also consistent with previous years. I promise I wouldn’t have posted it if I had any doubts - and you can email and ask for the information yourself, but you won't find it on their website (that would be too helpful!! :D).

It may appear to be easy to achieve a 140 score, but I think the widespread view is that kids tend to underperform previous practice scores on the day. It is probably also the case that having to prepare for 3 papers makes it more difficult to get straight 140’s – though certainly not impossible. It has been anecdotally reported on here previously that 420 might be the most frequently achieved score – but I have no idea if that is correct or not. It would be another interesting question for KCC (ideally posed by someone else!).

All the best. C
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Dear Committed and Sherry_d.

Thanks for the postings. Committed, thanks for the confirmation - it really is a minefield to get your head around what's required to pass, standardised scores and raw scores and I still think there's an element of myth!!

Apologies to you Sherry_d, I really didn't intend to antagonise as I've seen from previous threads that you've had disappointing results and it must be a worry. Hopefully, the first posting in this thread will help future candidates a bit as I, and I think a lot of others, thought to get 140 you had to get around 95-100%, depending on age, but that's clearly not the case, hence my surprise. Good luck anyway.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

thanks for posting the scores - just had a chat with my son's tutor who says he is not superselective material - when i said he only needs to get 75% right to get top scores she said that was incorrect (he is an august birthday). Just goes to show that tutors don't know everything! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now