March 1st ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

March 1st ...

Post by pheasantchick »

This is a day I normally associated with St. Davids Day, but this year its the allocation day. I've had a few people ask me whether we know which school DS is going to yet, and unfortunately my DS is aware that the decision is not that far away. We're trying to be positive for the first choice, but also mention the second chocie school in cases number one doesn't work out.

Also, I've began to obsess again about whether we have made the right decision, will he like whatever school he goes to, what if... etc. I know what is done is done and all we can do is wait, but it has brought the whole process back to the front of my mind again.
purplerose69

Re: March 1st ...

Post by purplerose69 »

Just being curious.... what happens if DS does not get any of the 4 choices in CAF? I heard s/he will be given "a school" within the borough but what if it is the worst of the worst and we are not prepared to accept it? Can anyone advise regarding appeals in this situation or making a late application to another non-selective school and not accepting the one being offered by the borough?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi purplerose - if that should happen then first ACCEPT THE SCHOOL - otherwise you could end up with nowhere, then look at the options - you can appeal to other schools, go on the waiting list or continued interest list of schools.

However fingers crossed for March 1st - and cross the other bridges when you need to
narshad1

Post by narshad1 »

I listed the schools in the preferred order my DS wanted to attend.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi purplerose69, this happened to us three years ago. DD did not get offered a place at any of our four choices and we were given our local school which we hadn't even put down on our form. If we had wanted that school, we would have chosen it in the first place! After an unsuccessful appeal, we decided to go down the indie route and this was the best thing that could have happened. DD is at a lovely school and doing really well (although a bit eye watering when it comes to paying the bills). Fingers crossed that everything works out for you and your DS. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Glad everything sorted out moonlight, even if it was at significant cost :shock: . Often comes down to the fact that it is OK to put all the schools you want even if there is a risk of not getting them (because others are oversubscribed etc), if you have a good alternative eg indie.
If this is a non starter you do have to be very careful about the CAF ... not always easy I know but better tp have some choice in the whole thing than none.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi Moonlight......was this in Kent ? I'm getting a bit worried now.I have been thinking that we would prob be ok getting one of our choices....and my son is just assuming he is going to his 1st preference....but I suppose you never know.I'm glad it all worked out ok for your daughter. :) I don't think we could go down the indie route...we have 2 more children after our son....but hopefully our choices will allow at least one place for our son ....and thats all we need ! :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

remember you can appeal scarlett
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

You're quite right hermanmunster, I think we just hoped that we would get one of our four choices because the alternative was so dire. An indie school was not even considered until we realised that we had no choice in the matter whatsoever!

Scarlett, we are in Essex and it was unfortunate for us that all our choices just happened to be good schools that the rest of Essex agreed with! We were very fortunate that our DS managed to get a place at our local grammar school last September so, thankfully, only one lot of bills to pay (although this is quite enough). Good luck to you and your DS, I'm sure everything will work out fine.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

yoyo123 wrote:remember you can appeal scarlett

Aaargggh !!!!! It's coming too quickly !!! Maybe I can keep my son at primary until he is 18 ( and his trousers are at his knees ) then again I need to know so I can start saving for the uniform...ALL the pe kit...a timekeeping watch...a phone ..a lunch card.......