Tonbridge Grammar - couple of questions re starting in Sept

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

franticmum

Tonbridge Grammar - couple of questions re starting in Sept

Post by franticmum »

Dear All

Just a couple of enquiries:

1) I understand they have lockers for books, etc. How large are these? Are they ever expected to put their school bags/pe kits in them or do they carry these around all day?

2) Out of area for south of Kent - My daughter doesn't know anyone else attending, not that this seems to phase her but, if its not too personal a question, we were just wondering where other children who have been offered places are living/going to be travelling in from. She will be travelling in from Stonegate station but we live in Heathfield, East Sussex.

Thanks

PS. Good luck to all those undertaking appeals/waiting lists, the agony continues.
AbidB

Re: Tonbridge Grammar - couple of questions re starting in S

Post by AbidB »

Dear Franticmum

I was a student at TGS until last year when I left for sixth form, so hopefully these answers will be useful

1) The lockers are large enough to store all the books you'll need and at a bit of a squish you can also fit your PE kit in, though I think for the first few years you get a PE locker as well as your normal locker anyway. Normally students carry their school bags around but generally not PE kits, as especially in the mornings when you have three lessons before break you just can't carry the books you need around without a bag

2) Sounds like you'll be doing the same journey that I have for the last five and a half years coming from Heathfield area myself, it's a pretty long day with the long trip at either end but I'd say it's worth it. There are a relatively large number of students that travel from Stonegate to TGS in the mornings and quite often the older students will look out for the new students to check they are alright with making their way up to the school, although the swarm of green jumpers is pretty easy to follow.

Wish you the best of luck, it's a good school and hope your daughter will enjoy it

(feel a little like i'm intruding on this site as a student rather than a parent but it's been really useful for helping with my brother's appeal so I've been using it quite a lot lately)