Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: failed by one point.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:35 am 
Would scores of NVR 137 VR 127 Maths 114 stand a good chance in an appeal in kent?? From my understanding of the kent pass mark he missed by 1 point. Can any one advise what we should do???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am 

Hi - no knowledgeable advice I am afraid but gut feeling is that you should go for it with those higher results

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:46 am 
many thanks, have full backing of head teacher and class teacher if we decide to appeal. Were the scary T.Wells side so im hoping 114 is not too low for what they expect and maybe, even if he got 115 he still may not have got in to TW ????!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:43 pm 
Have you asked the head why the school didn't appeal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:28 pm 
Hello Lladnar. I would have thought that, on past performance, your son's aggregate score would have been plenty high enough for TWGB (though not for Judd or Skinners).
Did you apply to TW? If so why not give them a ring and find out whether they are oversubscribed this year or have spaces for appeals? You may want to wait until you have had the stuff from KCC tomorrow though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:29 pm 
hi ya, they did the 'headteachers appeal' but it was unsuccessful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm 
I understand TW Grammar is oversubscribed and some boys to the East of the area have been offered Norton Knatchbull in Ashford!

Normally you would be very likely to be successful at appeal with those scores, but pressure on places in West Kent for those who have passed makes it difficult.

Sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm 
Hi ya, yeah his first choice was TW. With an aggregate score of 378 its a pretty impressive failure score! Thanks for your advice, may well do that, but like you say probably wait until I get more info first.

Can anyone advise what the actual school pass mark is for Tunbridge Wells boys Grammar?? Is this known yet? This is my main concern that although his aggrgate was 378 and missed the Kent pass mark by 1 in one paper with a 114. What is TW's actually min pass in each paper? if were looking at say 119, then it means he missed out by a few??
Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:48 pm 
With those scores, I would DEFINITELY APPEAL! Out of the three papers, they usually like to see a stronger maths paper, which could be why the headteacher's appeal was not successful. Did they tell you why it was not successful? If your son has a strong maths background, then it's worth appealing. Was TW Boys one of your choices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm 

Hi - no knowledgeable advice I am afraid but gut feeling is that you should go for it with those higher results

good luck