Dartford Girls cut off - what happened this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wishful

Dartford Girls cut off - what happened this year?

Post by wishful »

The cut off this year for DGGS is 413 - last year it was 404. What with TGS being 414 - last year it was 407 - what has happened this year? I wonder is it because of the recession, maybe there are more children who would otherwise have gone to the independent schools, or is there more intensive tutoring? And the boys situation seems to be even worse, I have heard of boys who have scored 400+ not being offered a grammar at all! Judd cut off is 417. Theories anyone?
Bexley_Dad

Re: Dartford Girls cut off - what happened this year?

Post by Bexley_Dad »

I know - we missed out but thought we would be top of the waiting list. Then I phoned up DGSG and found we were 120 in the queue! Now that has put a mighty big spanner in the works :?

Regards,
Rob
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I've heard of at least 4 girls in my DS school going to DGGS this year - very unusual. All their mums were saying that they were worried about their DD getting in because loads of girls have applied there this year......who knows..... this is not fact just rumour but maybe there's no smoke without fire in this case.
wishful

Post by wishful »

Bexley_Dad, we missed out on our first choice too, TGS, but DD is now more than happy with our second choice WGSG (not too good with all these abbreviations!). I saw from a previous post your dd was offered C&S, I have heard only good things about this school so if you don't manage to get into DGSG I'm sure your dd will be happy there! I'm feeling lucky that we have a grammar school at all and feel for those less fortunate :D
GreenMum

Post by GreenMum »

Yes you are correct - the same happened at DGS with boys needing 411 to get in this year.

We are one of those with a score of 400+ and no Grammar place at all!

We've been told that DGS was more popular than ever with out of county applicants who were able to jump ahead if scores were high. This has then pushed the usual DGS applicants to WGSB and put pressure on GGS places.
wishful

Post by wishful »

I really feel for you and your ds, GreenMum, after all that hard work it must be very disappointing. I am puzzled as to why Wilmington girls seem to have been able to offer places to many OOCs, even though DGSG is also heavily oversubscribed this year, as is evident with the 413 cut off. Any girl with a pass in my dd's class has been offered a place at WGSG. Maybe there were more boys than girls sitting the test this year? Hopefully with your high score you will be offered a place once all the refusals have been processed.
Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea »

Does anyone know from previous years whether there is much movement on the waiting list for DGSG? Anyone have any experience?
dani*

Post by dani* »

I think one of the reasons Wilmington Girls have offered so many places to OOC's is because of the pressure of GS places in Bexley. Bexley is surrounded by areas where GS have been abolished resulting in a lot of OOC's snapping up those places. Perhaps the problem is now spilling to Wilmington.