140/134/130 but no Grammar School place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Charles P

140/134/130 but no Grammar School place

Post by Charles P »

Despite passing with a high score, our son has not been allocated a grammar school place. Our choices were oversubscribed (people with higher combined scores and/or siblings presumably being higher priority). Do we have a case for appeal? Is Kent required to offer a grammar school place because he passed the test?

no grammar place

Post by Guest »

thats awful where are you, you child do so well with those scores, i am sure you should be given a grammar, you must appeal.
Charles P

Re: no grammar place

Post by Charles P »

Anonymous wrote:thats awful where are you, you child do so well with those scores, i am sure you should be given a grammar, you must appeal.
Tun Wells area - with hindsight we should not have taken the risk of only applying to the highly selective grammars

no grammar place

Post by Guest »

i don't know enough about your area here in kent those scores would have been secure for a place, there are people on here who know more about TW, your child must be so bright to get those scores, surely worthy of a place at grammar, if i were you i would fight for a place.
Peter

Post by Peter »

There is a major problem in West Kent with insufficient grammar school places. This is primarily caused by parents from Sussex crossing the border and taking up places in the grammar schools who recruit on high scores.

You rights extend to appealing at any school you have applied to, or applying to a new school with vacancies after March 23rd. Some parents have been referred to Norton Knatchbull Ashford from west Kent, although there are onyl a reported two vacancies there.

KCC will do their best to find a grammar school place, but are under no obligation.

Sorry.

Post by Guest »

Hello Charles
You need to get your son on the waiting lists for the grammars to which you applied. You can do this now.

I note from the Judd website that they expect to admit 5-10 boys off the waiting list this year. Don't know if numbers are similar for Skinners (guessing these are the schools you chose).

Judd states that in recent years the lowest aggregate score for admission has ranged from 403 to 414 but I'm not sure if this is first round offers or final allocations. The wording on their website suggests the former. I gather, mainly from this site that Skinners tends to be lower so I would have thought that your son had a pretty good chance of getting into one or other.

After March 27th (or 23rd ?) you can also apply direct to any grammars you didn't nominate on the CAF.

I'm not sure that you have grounds for an appeal or not. Can your primary school advise or take up the matter for you. I know that in the past our headteacher has successfully fought (and I gather it can be a fight) to get children reallocated to the school of their choice. I'm not talking about eleven plus appeals here which are obviously irrelevent to you, but allocation appeals.
Kentmum1

Post by Kentmum1 »

Don't know whether you applied to Skinners but friend's son got in with 140/140/128, so a very close aggregate score to yours. Seems unbelievable, however my son gained just 3 points under this 140/140/125 and was told it could have been borderline. Thankfully, his first choice was TW Boys and he got in.
Charles P

Post by Charles P »

Thanks very much for all comments and suggestions; much appreciated. We will go on wait lists and also investigate the potential for an appeal and /or reallocation. It seems we are close enough on the score to have a reasonable chance (I hope!).
unsure

applied only to highly selective schools

Post by unsure »

Hi Charles
You were brave and took the risk with the form that we did not dare take.

Do get yourself some full and correct advice from the admissions section at Kent CC. I would suggest e-mailing lots of questions to them so that you get the correct advice back by e-mail from a reasonably senior officer. Also read the admissions to secondary school booklet again - bits on appeals, and re-allocations. Also there is the school waiting list option.

For content of appeals see Etienne's posts in the appeals section.

How happy/unhappy are you with the non-selective you put third?

There are always ways of getting back into a grammar school during the early secondary years if all else fails, by having your name on each school's waiting list and waiting for a place to come up due to pupils moving house etc.

Good luck.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I have found out that the cutt-off for Skinners was 404 this year. So anyone with this score could have been chosen by goegraphic distance.
Last year, it was 395, so is just getting higher by the year.