cat scoring v 11+ scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
emma1978

cat scoring v 11+ scoring

Post by emma1978 »

Hi, I have just received my sons year 5 cat test scores, he got VR141,Q141,NV132. We live in Tunbridge Wells and he is september born.
Can anyone advise me whether these scores are worked out in the same way as the actual 11+ exam?
Sorry to have such vague understanding, but I lived in East Sussex for years and am not familiar with how this grammar system all works and his primary school do not encourage or tutor the pupils for this.
Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
tiredmum

Re: cat scoring v 11+ scoring

Post by tiredmum »

I remember reading on here that the kent test and CATS are similar in that they are both standardised using a national cohort - so in that way they are the same.

Hope someone else will be along to confirm this.

They are very good scores anyhow :)
emma1978

Post by emma1978 »

Thanks for your reply, I am pleased with the scores :D but the schools do not give much away! I will be happy for him to pass I dont want to apply pressure on him such as getting scores high enough for Judd.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think 141 is the maximum score, so very good results. I know nothing about Kent but happened to spot this when searching on CATS, so sorry to butt in!
scary mum
emma1978

Post by emma1978 »

Wow :oops: !! I didnt realise and you haven't butted in at all.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There's a discussion going on about this in another thread (KS2 section further up the page).
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Try this for size - it looks informative and reliable. The school certainly doesn't give much away - at least they gave you the scores. Was it done per the proper conditions for the test - i.e. paper not seen beforehand, correct time limit etc?

http://www.nationalstrategiescpd.org.uk ... erview.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think you have much to worry about!! But of course the school needs to match it up with good teaching. Has your son always got really high NC levels too?
emma1978

Post by emma1978 »

Thanks for the link will check it out.
My son told me his CATs were done under exam conditions, but I only have his word on this, I am sure the timings were all adhered to, or else what was the point? Am going for a meeting Wed at his primary school so will find out for sure.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well you'll see when you have read the link that his scores look extremely high. Maybe take a copy of the link hidden in your handbag just in case. It should stand him in extremely good stead for the 11+, but you might still wish to do some familiarisation on the three Kent papers, and some work on any rusty maths areas or topics not covered at school?

Is he well advanced in terms of his NC levels, or have the CATs revealed a "sleeping cheetah"? !!

Good luck.
emma1978

Post by emma1978 »

Yes he has always had a high reading age, and his NC levels are always higher than average for his age group. I just wasnt expecting such good results from CAT tests.
Will definately get some practise papers now in preperation for the 11plus.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now