How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Re: How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

It would be good to get an update from everyone whose DS's are sitting the exam next year on how much prep they are currently doing each week.

We have 1 hours tutor and another hour of homework spread over the week, plus a bit of ad-hoc times table practice.

Any useful tips people can share would also be v.welcome.

Many thanks in advance
Villagedad :)
martin76

Post by martin76 »

hi Villagedad,

our DS started preparation December 2010, we did about 1 hour every single day- for 10months, just in summer he did papers for about 2 hours/day.
He passed Kent test with 76% of n.v.r. and 96% v.r.&math (420points)

I was scared last year same time, but he did it great with the help of tutor(1hour/week) and with our help for every single day.

Hope that helps.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We're similar to you. ie. One hour tutor per week, plus homework (1/2-1 hour), plus occasional tables practice.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

My DD scored 420. My strong instinct whilst preparing her was that doing too much 11+ prep would bore her rigid and I wanted to keep her interested! She is a bright child and needed familiarisation and tips on technique, a couple of hours a week is enough time for this.

We didn't have a tutor and I used the information gained from this fantastic site to prepare her. At this stage, we were doing up to two hours a week max.

I feel it's important not to fall into the trap of focussing on Quantity over Quality of work.

Good luck with the coming year.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

We've done a couple of papers with DD who got 80 to 100%, so we've kind of let it slide since then. We will probably try to do some more with her after Christmas just to familiarise her with them. We're not going to push to hard as a) I really don't think she needs it and b) she tends to get a bit teary if pushed on stuff she is struggling with.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

martin76 wrote:our DS started preparation December 2010, we did about 1 hour every single day- for 10months, just in summer he did papers for about 2 hours/day.
Wow am new here and you have scared me!

Am I being naive in thinking about natural ability and possibility of over coaching in case they cant keep up at grammar school?

We are doing 2 x 45 minutes a week and will probably do this about 4 times a week next summer.

We have 2 other kids so cant see how we can fit in any more than that at the moment :-(
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

anotherworriedmum wrote:
martin76 wrote:our DS started preparation December 2010, we did about 1 hour every single day- for 10months, just in summer he did papers for about 2 hours/day.
Wow am new here and you have scared me!

Am I being naive in thinking about natural ability and possibility of over coaching in case they cant keep up at grammar school?

We are doing 2 x 45 minutes a week and will probably do this about 4 times a week next summer.

We have 2 other kids so cant see how we can fit in any more than that at the moment :-(
Worried mum-It's about your child and what works best for them.Taking a less stressed approach may be benefical for him/her, but if you needed to start right from the basics then that would take more time. I don't think there's any point comparing because there will always be someone whose child is doing 3/4/5 hours daily.
;D
martin76

Post by martin76 »

yes, Thingsbehindthesun, you can’t compare all the kids.

But I am against so called “natural process” What is it? Then the best would be to close kids in a jungle and after 10years sit the test:) It is the same everywhere – sport, science, work etc
Some need 1hour, some 30min, some 5hours and that depends on what they achieved with the help of school within 5years. All of the schools is not the same. And it is not natural case.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Come on any others who have a DC as a 2012 test taker care to share their tips and weekly prep times :)

Cheers
Villagedad
portia123

Post by portia123 »

We have just been through the 11 process. We started last October, tutor 1 hour per week till the week before the Kent Test, she gave us 3 pieces of homework each week including mental maths, bonds vr, nvr and maths papers that took about 3 hours to complete. We had the school holidays off until the summer holidays. We started the practice papers in June doing three papers per week until the week before the 11plus exams. He also had school homework during this time. Also encouraged reading different materials. I sat with my child to keep them on track. Luckily they passed and it was worth it. Good luck x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now