New Ash Green - grammars in reasonable distance?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peppermint Patty

New Ash Green - grammars in reasonable distance?

Post by Peppermint Patty »

Hi there - there's a good chance we will be moving to New Ash Green near Longfield, but have no knowledge of schools in the area and how feasible it would be for my DS to travel to a grammar school (he's yr 3 now, so no immediate rush, but I'm a big believer in forward planning). Are the Tunbridge area schools unrealistic? What about Dartford or Orpington? We're prepared to put in journey time, but would appreciate a dose of realism and local wisdom. Thanks!
pheasantchick

Re: New Ash Green - grammars in reasonable distance?

Post by pheasantchick »

Its often not the distance but ease of transport links that determines what is feasible. ie. a person can live only a few miles form a grammer school, but not be on a direct bus route. However, a child living further away could be on a direct bus route, so the journey would be easier.

Welcome to the site.
GeorgieBlue

Post by GeorgieBlue »

The nearest Grammar school to NAG is Gravesend (in the region of 6 miles as the crow flies) but boys from here also often go to Wilmington and Dartford. GGS is a great school!

NAG is a named parish on Gravesend's over subscription criteria, and so in terms of getting a place this is usually your best bet. I expect that Tonbridge schools will be too far even for the super selectives.

Boys with good 11 plus passes this year had to go to appeal as the school was full before the distance line got to NAG but this has only happened a couple of times in the past few years, and these boys won places on appeal.

Gravesend will soon have Academy status so probably worth keeing an eye on the admissions policy in case it changes.

In terms of transport there are school buses, or direct service public buses to GGS, WGSB and DGS from New Ash Green.

Good luck!

Georgie Blue
Peppermint Patty

Post by Peppermint Patty »

Thank you both, that's really helpful. Very useful to know about variables - I'll keep a close eye on those admissions policies.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now