Just wondering

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JLT

Re: Just wondering

Post by JLT »

Scarlett,
We're now doing half and half on questions, I'm leaving him to do some of them whilst I sit next to him.(ie ten minute tests or Bond books). If he writes down the wrong answer I ask him how he got that and then we go through it. Now doing 1 practice paper a week but in two halves. This we're timing so he can get a feel for how long he has, and then going through the answers after. I guess the examiners know the sort of mistakes kids are likely to make so include them in the answers. Still only 6 weeks to go!!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That sounds like the sort of thing I did with my son...I know the timings important , but I felt it was best to do the paper in 2 halves and then go over and learn from the mistakes. I think you shouldn't feel too despondent because as you say , he's obviously making the silly mistakes which are commonly made and it would be worse if he really didn't get the maths at all or his teacher had told you he was bottom of the class for maths.He must know his stuff...he just needs to practice now...at least you have the days as it's holidays.
JLT

Post by JLT »

scarlett wrote:That sounds like the sort of thing I did with my son...I know the timings important , but I felt it was best to do the paper in 2 halves and then go over and learn from the mistakes. I think you shouldn't feel too despondent because as you say , he's obviously making the silly mistakes which are commonly made and it would be worse if he really didn't get the maths at all or his teacher had told you he was bottom of the class for maths.He must know his stuff...he just needs to practice now...at least you have the days as it's holidays.
Especially as the sun seems to have given up and gone home!! :lol:
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi

My DD is making silly mistakes on the maths papers too, I can understand your frustration, it is so annoying when you know they can do it and it appears they just don't focus at times. Went through this a couple of years ago with DS, and he was exactly the same, am glad to say that he did pass, so fingers crossed for us, they will pull out all the stops on the day!!! In the meantime we just have to keep at it and hope we don't end up with too many grey hairs!!!! The good thing about this website is it helps to know others are in the same situation. Good luck.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Show him how to keep a double line graph of the percentage he scored on each practice paper, and the percentage he would have got without silly mistakes and had completed correctly all the questions on the paper that he really did understand. Over time as his accuracy improves you will see the two lines start to converge.

I'm sure it's common making loads of silly errors - and some people make more on the day, and others fewer. If he's a laid back type (which he sounds like) he'll probably make fewer on the day than he normally does.

This is why a score of 140 (highest score) only means approx 75% or more correct. Lots of silly mistakes from everyone!!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My son's raw scores were more or less the same for maths as the marks he was getting at home...his VR and NVr ( which he didn't finish ) were quite a bit less on the real thing, but he still got 140 for those.Remember it does depend on how many silly mistakes the other children make too ...let's hope they make more than your son !
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Practice, practice and then even more practice. That is how we eliminated mistakes close to exam day. It's also luck on the day, DS had a temperature on the eve of his crucial exam and it was fireworks night to boot!!
dani*

Post by dani* »

JLT wrote: Have heard varying reports in Kent that actual papers are harder than NFER practice ones which doesn't help in times of panic!!lol:
We sat the Kent test last year. DD only managed to finish the NFER practice papers with reasonable results just or just not within the time allowed. She finished well before time in the real Kent test and was even able to check her work within the time allowed. She did well in the maths paper.

Keep going over the difficult questions, little and often, don't panic. This is the last push, you are nearly there.

Good Luck!
JLT

Post by JLT »

dani* wrote:
JLT wrote: Have heard varying reports in Kent that actual papers are harder than NFER practice ones which doesn't help in times of panic!!lol:
We sat the Kent test last year. DD only managed to finish the NFER practice papers with reasonable results just or just not within the time allowed. She finished well before time in the real Kent test and was even able to check her work within the time allowed. She did well in the maths paper.

Keep going over the difficult questions, little and often, don't panic. This is the last push, you are nearly there.

Good Luck!
Thanks Dani - hoping the lack of distractions in the test will help as well. Not sure he'll get away with singing, gurning, trying to bounce his rubber on the floor and the various other things DS enjoys doing at varying points of any work he's doing at home!! :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That sounds familiar ! At least with the timed papers they don't have time to stare aimlessly out of the window or draw on their hands. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now