Standard or Multiple Choice and Exam Times

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: Standard or Multiple Choice and Exam Times

Post by yoyo123 »

do you eliminate answers as you go through each question? find the ones which can;t be right , then decide which of the ( usually ) 2 remaining is correct.

does he have problems with one particular type of question? Maybe some extra practice with that type.

Bond "how to do NVR" is good, lots of tips . It;s not all relevant to Kent but has some useful suggestions. I liked Striped Pyjamas And Nice Soft Slippers a mnemonic for

Shape, Position, Angle, Number, Shading, Size....a useful checklist.

also double check that you have the right question number on the answer sheet. As they are all A,B,C,D,E it is not so easy to realise you are one question out. ( Not sure that I have made myself clear!)
malibu

Post by malibu »

bulu wrote: I bought the new gl-assessment guide to NVR types and there are no nets so I'm sure it's safe to carry on ignoring them. There are many types of NVR question but we've concentrated on the 8 types specified by GL.
I'm starting to panic, now I've found out that there will only be four sections in the NVR paper :(

Bulu, can you please list the 8 types?? I know of:
Horizontal Codes
Vertical Codes
Matrices
Series
Analogies
Similarities....
bulu

Post by bulu »

Hi Malibu, I think we're all starting to panic inside now, but trying hard to hide it!

I bought the new GL-Assessment publications (their 'How to Do NVR' guide and the new papers).

They have given the different types of NVR question more user-friendly names which are:

1. Crack the horizontal code.
2. Crack the vertical code.
3. Complete the grid.
4. Complete the series.
5. Find the diagram like the first 2.
6. Find the diagram like the first 3.
7. Find the odd one out.
8. Find the diagram like the first two (most alike).

Looking at these, there are 4 distinct question types and my guess is that if there are only 4 sections in the test paper, you're unlikely to get, say, both types of code, or two lots of 'Find the diagram', or two lots of 'Complete the..', but who knows?

Not a net in sight! We gave up on the Bond papers because they use so many different question types for NVR, a bit like they do with VR.

Aside from gl material, we found Letts papers and IPS the most similar, although IPS have a few errors/ambiguous questions.

Good luck, we'll soon be out the other side of this.
malibu

Post by malibu »

bulu wrote: They have given the different types of NVR question more user-friendly names which are:

3. Complete the grid.
4. Complete the series.
7. Find the odd one out.
Thanks bulu, much appreciated :)
bulu

Post by bulu »

Oops, just realised number 8 above should be 'Complete the pair', think I put one type twice.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

bulu wrote:Hi Malibu, I think we're all starting to panic inside now, but trying hard to hide it!

I bought the new GL-Assessment publications (their 'How to Do NVR' guide and the new papers).

They have given the different types of NVR question more user-friendly names which are:

3. Complete the grid.
4. Complete the series.
7. Find the odd one out.

Looking at these, there are 4 distinct question types and my guess is that if there are only 4 sections in the test paper, you're unlikely to get, say, both types of code, or two lots of 'Find the diagram', or two lots of 'Complete the..', but who knows?

Not a net in sight! We gave up on the Bond papers because they use so many different question types for NVR, a bit like they do with VR.

Aside from gl material, we found Letts papers and IPS the most similar, although IPS have a few errors/ambiguous questions.

Good luck, we'll soon be out the other side of this.
Hi all
When did the "new gl-assessment guide to NVR types" come out? We are in for the 2012 and have the ae tuition book 1 as an introduction to NVR. Is this good for an introduction or is it best to go for the new gl-assessment guide to NVR types as a first start out?

Thanks in advance
Villagedad
bulu

Post by bulu »

Hello Villagedad,

The new GL-assessment publications for both VR and NVR came out in May this year. They are called '11+ Explained: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success'. My first dc is taking the test in a week so they were a bit late for us, and I wouldn't have bothered with them, but have a 2nd child who may find them useful, and a bit of an obsession with 11+ workbooks!

I think choosing a 'How to Do' guide for VR is easy - IPS is by far and away the best. My own copy is annotated all the way through with additional tips from Patricia who I think should receive a Sainthood (now there's a compound word!)

NVR is not so obvious. Many people on here have the Bond guide and love it. I hated it, every cluttered, busy page annoyed me!! It just confused me.

I don't have the book you mention, but think it is recommended on here.

My personal choice to begin would be the new series by Peter Williams - very 'clean' pages, straight to the point, and fairly close to the Kent Test types. Also, enforced computer games - Mah Jong and Tetris!

I think the answer is to use what you have, and when that's done do what I did - sit on the floor of WHSmiths for an hour going through all the possibilities, decide which one you like the look of then order it on here!

Did you do any NVR with your child in Year 4? My 2nd has just started Yr 4 and I'm not sure whether to start now or leave it until Year 5. Or something in-between?! Good luck Villagedad. I wish I could help more.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

You've helped loads, Bulu ...I didn't know all that and will use your suggestions with my year 5 child.I did start him on NVR last year by the way...it was pretty simple stuff like sequencing a story , but I think has helped, he seems quite good and is racing through the 9-10 Bond book now.

I think though, a takeaway coffee from Costa might be in order for a Smiths Sit out...just hide it behind a book in Carol Vordermans section.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

malibu wrote: I'm starting to panic, now I've found out that there will only be four sections in the NVR paper :(
I don't think its certainly for sure they will be 4 sections. If my memory serves me right in 2009 it was 5 sections. The number of sections seem to have changed a little bit recently. What seem to have stayed the same is the timing (30 seconds per question). I wouldn't worry too much about the number of section, I doubt that will make any big difference.
Impossible is Nothing.
malibu

Post by malibu »

Thanks Sherry_d,
I'm a bit worried as my DS finds some types of NVR quite challenging.
If there are 18 questions of the type he finds difficult, instead of 12 questions, it might result in a lower score.