GL Pack 1 and GL pack 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shahinoor

GL Pack 1 and GL pack 2

Post by shahinoor »

Please can someone confirm that GL pack 2 exams are way too difficult for the kent 11 plus? Where as GL pack1 seems just right?
bulu

Re: GL Pack 1 and GL pack 2

Post by bulu »

Hi Shahinoor, glad it went well today. I agree it's a shame they just do the GL 1 papers. We had in-school tests this week and the majority of the class knew this, and had gone through the papers the night before. They all finished after 15 minutes!

I think you need to look at the post lower down started by 'Wardie', called 'Old GL versus new GL papers'. At the risk of repeating myself, I too was taken aback by the new papers and contacted Kent CC in the spring half-term. I asked if they seriously expected me to be teaching Year 7 and above level work to my then Year 5 son, quoting the nth term specifically!!

They were really helpful and said the new papers were not a reflection of the Kent Test. Although this test is written by GL-Assessment, it is specified by Kent CC, and they ask for a test based on KS2 of the National Curriculum. They also ask that it takes into account that much of the 'consolidation and development work' that takes place in Year 6 has not yet occurred. They ask for a 'small number of more challenging questions to keep the most able mathematicians engaged'.

They suggested revision for the Kent 11+ should centre on KS2 of the National Curriculum and directed me to the government standards website.

This week, the class teacher has stated emphatically that the nth term and algebra (meaning the more complex simultaneous equations) will not be in the test. I hope she's right! I assume this is because the teachers have also been told the same thing, and although some schools may teach these subjects early, within the National Curriculum children are not introduced to many topics (algebra, pie charts with degrees, nth term, addition and subtraction of fraction etc) in Year 5!

GL-assessement write many papers for many clients, including those in different counties and those who take the selection tests at a later stage in Year 6. They will want their papers to cater for as wide an audience as possible. So don't panic, your instincts are correct.

Good Luck!
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Thanks for the clarification. Aplogies for repeating but sometimes repetion of the answer is more assuring. Your answer makes complete sense. My son has been using bond books this week and is averaging 80%...do u think this good indicator for reaching the 420 mark?
bulu

Post by bulu »

Hi again, I honestly don't know about how Bond paper scores relate to the real thing. Only someone who's child succeeded with similar scores or a tutor could comment, but 80% is a great score in my opinion!

The level of papers is important - the maths tutors I know tend to stop at fourth level, and only give fifth level to the most able. 80% would get you top marks in a real test, so it's looking good from here!

Good luck.