RE MARK

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
absolute zero

magic manual remark

Post by absolute zero »

I wonder if a manual remark picks up on marks the child has made that were not firm enough for the computer to read. I wonder also if they look to see if on any section of the paper a child has the sequence of answers right but in the wrong boxes showing they have accidentally slipped up or down a line on the answer sheet.
cindy

Re: magic manual remark

Post by cindy »

absolute zero wrote:I wonder if a manual remark picks up on marks the child has made that were not firm enough for the computer to read. I wonder also if they look to see if on any section of the paper a child has the sequence of answers right but in the wrong boxes showing they have accidentally slipped up or down a line on the answer sheet.
apparently a child last year in Maidstone had the answers out of sequence,
and it was spotted. It seems that the appeal was ok on that basis.
cindy

remark

Post by cindy »

I had a telephone call yesteday from KCC they say that there is no change in Chritophers score, he is still one short!!!!!!!!!!!

The people there could not have been more helpful, and gave me some very useful advice.

1. daft old me-thought I was appealing against the score-I only just learnt that I could/should apply for all those I named.

2. I was informed that he did not complete his maths paper (5xQ's) which the lady said would be useful for the appeal
tessajowell

appeals

Post by tessajowell »

Hi Cindy
Not sure what your situation is - either your child has failed and you consider he/she should have passed, or your child has passed but not with a sufficiently high score for one of the few Kent highly selective grammar schools.

Either way you can appeal. But you need to be sure you have been correctly advised by the admissions section at Kent CC on types of appeal, dates etc.

If your child has failed, it is possible to get this changed to a "pass" (they use different terminology) on appeal if you can show sufficient evidence that he did badly on the day. However, this does not change the score as such. And I am not sure whether this is done on a school by school basis or not.

Also, if your child has not got a sufficiently high mark to get into somewhere like Judd, you can still appeal. Last year the lowest mark to get into Judd on 1 March was 413. My stepson had 410 and did not appeal. A friend of his had significantly less and did get into Judd on appeal. Always worth a bash if you think the school would definitely suit your child.

Hope you don't send a cross e-mail because your question was answered in the first three e-mails like you did on another thread about age standardisation!!

good luck
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry, but if the child has not passed the Kent test, an appeal CANNOT change that into a pass (that was the function of the headteacher's appeal).

An appeal is simply to gain admittance to a specific school.

If the school is full or you prefer another school, you cannot cash in the decision for the first school, although of course it could impress the panel.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Thanks all, once again

attention of Tessaj, no, of course no cross email, I appreciate fully the USEFULL mails I have been sent. It was simply unfortunate that question I asked regarding standardisation attracted so much attention from parents of children who did pass, but were not happy about the inference that their
child only passed by way of thier age as a pose to hard work. I felt that
the post were becoming personal and did not reflect in anyway the subject
that I had asked for help on.

Cindy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now