Day one of the Kent test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sherry_d

Re: Day one of the Kent test

Post by sherry_d »

I dont think there would ever be a uniform standard on what is easy or difficult as children tend to have diff strength.

Mine thought all papers were very EASY and she declaired on the last day that "she was happy she had done 11+ coz it was easy". Come results day it was a totally different story so I wouldn't worry much about what the children's feedback is.

My own theory is those who find the test harder or don't finish papers probably know what they are doing.
Impossible is Nothing.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A not uncommon question to parents at appeal is "How did your child find the tests?"

Judging by all the answers I used to hear, I think sherry_d is absolutely right - there's little correlation between the child's perception and the end result! :)
Etienne
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

neurotic kent mum wrote:I know this is absolutely nothing to do with me as I don't have a child taking the 11+ this year. But if I was a parent with a child taking this on saturday I would find it helpful to let my child know which papers were difficult in advance of them taking them. It just gives them the edge - they know and can therefore cope with the problem more easily. I understand the need to share but wouldn't until saturday!
On the other hand it could worry them more knowing they are (perceived) to be more difficult.

My DD found the VR more difficult than the NVR. So it all boils down to individual strengths and weaknesses.

How are all you OOC feeling after reading these posts? Better or worse?
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am petrified after learning about the NVR because it is my son's weakest subject. :( . Saturday is just 4 days away and not much can be accomplished by worrying. I think I will stop reading this particular post. :|
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
katel

Post by katel »

I hate the suggestion that we shouldn't post our thoughts, just in case it might just help someone else get an extra mark!

For what it's worth, my ds thought the VR - likely to be his strongest paper - was very very hard - especially the sequences - and the vr was much easier than he expected. So it's all swings and roundabouts.
swimmingmum

Post by swimmingmum »

So helpful to read all this.

After a very chilled approach to the 11 plus ( practice but not tutoring) my son was feeling very happy etc. Just as i dropped him off this morning tears that he felt one paper had gone very badly.

Maths is his strength and I just hope he can get positive for that.

It is good to know he is not the only one and hopefully he did better than he thought.

This whole process is horrid - I want to cry!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The NVR always seems hard because unlike the maths and verbal you can't really remember the questions to reassure yourself you put the right answer down and I think there always seems to be more then one answer too. I'm sure your children all did better then they think .Hopefully today will be a better day and they can put the tests behind them feeling positive. There's nothing you can do by worrying, so try and forget it all until mid October !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good luck to all of them - too late I know. And I'm in the lucky position of having years to go for my own!!!

But please forget all that feedback from children, it's so useless. A child who has a gut feel that they got about 30% wrong (and is correct about that) can still get 140 ish. And that is going to feel like a lot wrong, particularly if they've been drilled at home to get 90% plus correct. And a child who has a gut feel that they got 50% wrong could still have passed - and that is going to feel like a huge number - imagine if you felt unsure about every other question!!

So it's really not worth even discussing it with your children, as who knows??

I have made a mental note to look round the grammars with my children in year 5, not year 6, and then again when we know which school we have got. It does seem cruel to drag them round just before the results are due. I'll go to the year 6 open days with someone else's children!!
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Ok, this post has terrified me!
But actually I guess those are all perfectly normal reactions, and there is no point worrying over it now. :?
My DS has never managed to finish the timed sections of NVR but is very efficient in those he does, so hopefully that will be enough to get him through.
For the record, I won't be mentioning anything about it being hard, as has been said its very much down to individual strengths and weaknesses.
After the Kent test Saturday, we then have two days of the Bexley one next week - eek!
... then we can relax :wink:
Well, thats the theory anyway!
Starmum x
maidstonemumofmany

Post by maidstonemumofmany »

My DS came out of school very down in the dumps saying "NVR was a nightmare and i know i've not passed it".

VR he said was ok.......

Has anybody else found that there seems to be a "bogey" paper each year ?. The year DD took it she came out and said the VR was a nightmare as did a lot of the other children. Four years previously DS1 said the maths was the hardest paper as did a high proportion of the other kids.

Both however passed and both left two sections on said papers.

Good luck to all x