Day 2 Maths and Writing Exercise

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Day 2 Maths and Writing Exercise

Post by scarlett »

Oh thanks Mystery..I feel most important now. The thing is when your child is going through it you do jump on every comment they make to try and gauge how it went and to try and reassure yourself too .( wait until it's your turn Mystery....we'll be up in the early hours whilst you're having a virtual booing session).I have told my panicky friend about needing 50/60 % only to pass but she was having none of it and said ,well why do some children fail then ? How do I reply to that ?! When DS told me about the maths I did get the impression that the questions at the end were ridiculously hard and most wouldn't be able to do them at all.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:wink: I'm the one who when I had taken an exam liked to convince myself that I had failed so that I got a nice surprise on results day. So yes, I will look forward to some virtual comfort in the early hours when my time comes!! But I'm not going to get that now after my lack of sympathy on this thread.

So here's some sympathy: I am sorry that people are worrying about the results. I would too. But I really do not think you can judge any of it by what your child thinks or says after the exam. Also, just because a child is normally "strongest" in maths say, and they find the maths paper harder than the others, this does not mean they have done worse than in the other papers. The exam results are not raw scores, they are standardised. So yes, your child might have got a worse raw score in maths than in NVR and VR despite it being their best subject, because the papers was relatively harder than the other two, but it does not mean they will have got a lower standardised score. If the paper was truly harder that year, the raw score to pass will be lower than other years, so it makes no difference.

Also, I don't think you can come on here and work out if a paper was harder than previous years though, as no-one here (apart from some invigilators) get to see the real papers year after year. So if you are trying to seek consolation on here by trying to find out if one of the papers was particularly hard this year, you will fail in that mission.

Hope that makes sense.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Only after it's read a few times. :P

I'm panicking now actually Mystery whether DS2 will be suitable. The emotions just go round and round in your head . :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

ahaa! You are doing my trick now so that you get a pleasant surprise on results day!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you have a good plan B? I am a Bennett Memorial fan and a comp over in Surrey I like the look of so I'm not too fussed. The thing that would make me distressed though would be if I thought I or the school had let my child down in some way, not that they didn't make the grade (OK if I'm honest that would bother me for about a decade then I'd get over it).
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The emotions are all flooding back now the next lot are going through it.Yes, I think it is really important to plan for all eventualities and there is Bennett for us and even the local comp would probably be ok.I do think there must be decent children /families who can't get into the church schools or pay for private...so why do we worry ?

We just need a crystal ball.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Is anyone on this thread actually thinking about the facts, or about what Scarlett has said etc etc?
Even the most sane and rational parents seem lose the plot at at this time of year. The beauty of getting it all out on the forum is that it assists in maintaining a facade of composure at home. Those parents who've been through it before, put forward all the reasoned arguments, but as they well remember, it's only marginally comforting and doesn't quell the panic! :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

No I'm sure you are right. I have even searched around on the Student Room for feeback on A level modules to glean some comfort on behalf of stepchildren when I already knew the answers.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's so true Mitasol. I feel sick just thinking about next year ( and 2014 ) but logically I know it will be ok. I'll still be booing on here though...so here's an advance warning. :)
katel

Post by katel »

I understand how it works. And I am a great believer in what will be will be and consequently, ds has done very little practice at home.

But I am still feeling secretly horrified that ds said the maths was the hardest thing he had ever done and he thinks he had to guess "about half"!

So I can only imagine how people who took it more seriously than I did must be feeling!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now