kent test for outside bourough kids

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shahinoor

kent test for outside bourough kids

Post by shahinoor »

Just returned from kent today...cpuld not gauge any sense from my son how it went ...but it seemed a hard paper insome parts but not all.
dunemigrating

Re: kent test for outside bourough kids

Post by dunemigrating »

Hi shahinoor
My son came out totally shattered after the 5 hours. He was quite annoyed at the fact that last week's was so easy and it gave him a false sense of security, even though I had told him this week's would probably be harder. Anyway, he said he didn't finish any of the sections of the nvr and had to guess the last few, the verbal seemed ok as did the maths. However he did say that some of the maths was hard. He said he didn't do well in the c. writing (which I'm not too worried about) because he said he did a 'rubbish essay'. I think by the end he was on his last legs so couldn't put a good effort in. Hopefully we won't have to appeal!
I'm glad the whole thing is over. We just have Bexley this coming week and then it's done. It's like a wedding, I feel; so much preparation and it's over in a day (or two).
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi all,

I love the comparison to a wedding - that's exactly how it feels!

DD's view on the tests today was:

VR - easy.
Maths - had really hard questions towards the end, but thinks she did ok.
NVR - was by far the hardest paper, harder than any practice papers. She had to guess some as she ran out of time. Feels she didn't do very well on nvr. :(
Writing - She loved the topics and enjoyed the writing.

She's absolutely exhausted after the long session.

Only a few days and Bexley will be over too. I can't wait until Wednesday evening when it's all over!
vasu

Post by vasu »

Hey all! Just back from Kent after a long ride home. Here is how it went down:
VR-easy
Maths-Progressively tough as he went through the questions
NVR- First section itself was quite tough and could not finish it. Rest all tough too but he finished it. Not very confident there.
C. Writing- He loves writing so it was no toughie.

Now lets wait and watch. Saw Judd from outside and just loved it. :D
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

All I could get out of exhausted DS was - It was agony but he finished Maths with time to spare, NVR not too bad but had to guess a couple, English ok, unfortunately he ran out of time on VR - rookie mistake - he got stuck on a couple of questions and forgot to move on. :( Bexley is our main focus though so hopefully a pep - talk on exam technique will mean he won't fall into same trap again. Roll on Weds eve ...
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

The responses I got from my DS are:

VR - 'fine'
NVR - 'fine'
Maths - 'fine'
Writing task - 'fine'

I think you're all getting much more of a response than me! :lol:

Oh, he did say that the last few questions on the maths was quite hard though, so got a little bit further in working out how he found it all I suppose :|
layla22

Post by layla22 »

My DS went to bed last night quite tearful. He woke up this morning with the sniffles but calmer.
Came out of the exam with a smile on his face- not really sure how to take that!?!
His take on it;
VR - good
Maths - good, although there were some hard questions which I told him to expect.
NVR - HARD!, had to guess some- but that was to be expected.
English- good
Now his sniffles have turned to runny nose, slight temp.!! Just what I was dreading- arrrrgh!!
Will dose him up with my favourite potion and keep fingers cross that he'll be ok for Tues and Wed.
Well that's 1 down 2 to go.....
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

We went out with a large group of friends last night, many of whom had children that have taken the Kent Test this week. All their children seemed to find the NVR fairly easy, which surprised me after comments on here and my DD's reflections on the NVR. It's made me feel a bit panicky - I think I'll be having sleepless nights for the next few weeks about it!
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Don't panic Muggle! Every child is going to have a different response.
My DS said he found it Ok, there were a few on each paper he couldn't do or didn't have time to finish but filled in the boxes for those he didn't know.
He was most annoyed that although he was in a small group with two of his friends they were not allowed to talk at lunchtime & had about 10 minutes to sit in silence & eat!
Compared to his friend at the girls school where they were together for a half hour lunch break & allowed to chat.
Consistency would be nice, these different routines could make a difference to some children.
On the whole, I'm happy he didn't come out completely freaked or crying, all we can do now is wait ...
Starmum x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now