marks required

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
positivemum

marks required

Post by positivemum »

Hi,I'm a first timer.At what stage do we know the marks required to gain admission into the individual schools? Do we have these figures to hand before we fill in the CAF form by 31/10? Anybody know?? Thanks.. :?:
pheasantchick

Re: MARKS REQUIRED

Post by pheasantchick »

You will get a confusing email telling you whether you are 'suitable for grammar' (ie pass) or suitable for high school ( ie fail) in about four weeks time ( can't remember the exact wording). To get scores, you will need to go and see your head teacher. This will come out before the deadline for the forms.

Most schools need a basic pass. Ie over 360. However, certain schools need higher scores. Which area of Kent are you in?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

If you registered online you will get the email on the 17 Oct ( after 4pm I recall). Our school sends out the scores so that they arrive in the post the following day.
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

Thanks pheasantchick and twinkle,but what I really meant was taking us for example,we fall under bexley and id like ds to go to dartford grammar,as of last yr i think oob kids had to score 411 so do we know the score needed before we fill in the caf form?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

positivemum wrote:so do we know the score needed before we fill in the caf form?
No, its just a guess game and trying to go with previous years but you'll not know for sure until allocation day next year. Things were rather tight this year for Dartford Grammar so you'll need to look into it a bit more. If you do a search here you can find more info from parents who didn't get a grammar place when their DCs had passed the Kent Test.

I didn't see anything in the appeals section so perhaps these parents got a place from the waiting list or got one of the other grammars so it may not be as bad as it looks. Movement do happen after allocation so you may ring the school to find out what the lowest mark was to get in from the waiting list.
Last edited by sherry_d on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

No, you won't know the cut-off score until after offers have been made in March, because the schools themselves won't know until they have put all the children through their admissions criteria in rank order. It will depend on how many apply with what score, and how many places are already filled with the catchment area children. Because of this 'unknown' the cut-off score will change each year, I think last year's 411 was quite a few marks higher than previously. Basically, you will be hoping for as high a score as possible (400+?) for DG, but it shouldn't prevent you from putting in on your CAF form anyway.
HTH
Starmum x
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

Thanks a lot!! You've really clarified things for me so all I can really do is cross my fingers,toes and everything else and hope for the best on the big day,the 17th..so stressful,this whole process!!! :? :oops:
Many thanks, positivemum x
mystery

Post by mystery »

If your child gets 140 in everything you'll get whichever school you put first!!
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

mystery wrote:If your child gets 140 in everything you'll get whichever school you put first!!
Hmmm and a big hmmmm to that!!!!! :lol: Anyway,all will be revealed after 4pm,October 17!!!!!
SSM

Post by SSM »

mystery wrote:If your child gets 140 in everything you'll get whichever school you put first!!
Unfortunately that isn't the case. Some schools do not look at the scores, but offer places on distance only, so I know it's not the case for this OP but say if they were to put Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for boys down as first choice and live a number of miles away, whatever score they receive, they would not get a place.

mystery, I know you were talking about this OP, but I just wanted to clarify the situation for others that might not read through the whole thread.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now