Moving from Overseas to Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Moving from Overseas to Kent

Post by mystery »

The Lisa Maybank School of Dance in Sevenoaks is I think, top notch. Plenty of others all round the place but I think that is the one for good exam results and future performers. Also there is Italia Conti (is that the name?) in Tunbridge Wells. We just use something local in our small town. Once you've moved you'll find something, there are loads and loads and loads round here. If you phone a dance shop (like First Stage in Sevenoaks) they'll probably be able to reel off a list to you.

Don't know about Tonbridge ...... gotta be something..... the dance shop might know as I think they are the closest dance shop to Tonbridge. There is a youth theatre in Tonbridge too but can't remember the name (the Oast perhaps?)?

Out of school activities in Tonbridge Park ........ this one is my fault. In the summer many young people from all the different grammars and non-selectives in Tonbridge meet up in the park .. don't know what they do 'cos they don't tell us when we ask!!
Jini

Post by Jini »

Thanks mystery...I'll check them out!
PianoPiano

Post by PianoPiano »

There are a number of local parenting mags which will help with finding ballet classes. If you can get hold of a copy of the West Kent Family Grapevine or Family Interest (both have websites if you google) they will have classes listed. Of course it's not a recommendation but you could call and see what they provide.

I think Italia Conti runs at the Skinners' School on a Saturday morning in Tunbridge Wells.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

PianoPiano wrote: I think Italia Conti runs at the Skinners' School on a Saturday morning in Tunbridge Wells.
It runs all day on a Saturday and does all types of dance (exams inc), drama, singing and musical production for 5-17/18 year olds.
Jini

Post by Jini »

Thanks for the replies. I've check the Italia Conti unfortunately they do the ISTDA exam for ballet. She can join the modern dance there but not ballet. I've since found out that there is one in Tunbridge wells that does do RAD exam.
2d12go

Post by 2d12go »

Hi Jini

If you have a look at this link it might help you.

http://www.rad.org.uk/teachersearch.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

best wishes
Jini

Post by Jini »

school side of things I think we will be ok. Have a private school as back up for DD even if it means lots of sacrifices for two years (hopefully she will get into a grammar after primary)...more relaxed about DS as he is only in year 2.

Where do we Live? I would like to live somewhere not far from Tonbridge but in Maidstone boundary...would like my dd to access both Tonbridge/tunbridge wells and maidstone grammars...And I want to be close to a mainline train station into London (don't mind a a 20 miniutes drive) we were thinking of Yalding, Hunton, wheatingbury (I think that's what it's called!) of course we will visit those places but would love to hear from people who know these areas. How the primary schools are. Access to grammar schools. Access to train stations....any opinion will be very much welcome.

Ideally I would love to commute from Tonbridge to charing cross as my job will be two underground stops from Charing cross. But renting in Tonbridge is very expensive and if we live there I understand DD might not be able to access Maidstone grammars such as MG for girls or Invicta as distance will be an issue. At this point we are thinking about Tonbridge & Tunbridge wells for girls and the two maidstone girls school. any suggestions of places to live?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Glad things sorting out a bit now Jini! I hardly know the area so can't really comment but from the forum I know that one of the Tonbridge or Tunbridge schools has a very tight catchment area :? -best wait for the local experts...
SSM

Post by SSM »

Renting in Tonbridge is more expensive as the journey into London is so much easier than the other areas you mention. I think you may mean Wateringbury?

Also you are not at all likely to get into TWGGS from those areas, unless it's on a Governors place which are allocated on score. TWGGS catchment does not go very far out from TW, so unless you are living on the doorstep you might as well live almost any where.
However, living close to the Maidstone GSs does give you the option to access those GSs if your DD does not score very highly, and then the option on TGS or even maybe TWGGS if she gets a high score.

Have you thought about Ightham? I think the Maidstone GSs are accessible from there and so is Weald, also not too far a drive to Sevenoaks for mainline station which gets you to Charing Cross in about 1/2 hour, but parking is very expensive at about £5.70 a day.

I think the problem you will find is that the areas you are looking for will be very expensive as you are not the only one looking for good schools and easy commute to London. :cry:
Jini

Post by Jini »

thanks SSM..very helpful info. DD is very bright with a reading age of 14 and doing year 7 maths (she is 9) but
I am sure there are lots of very smart DDs out there so I cannot rely on scores only, need back up plans too. Will check out the two places you've mentioned. Thanks :)