12+ plus in Kent?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

appealmum

12+ plus in Kent?

Post by appealmum »

This topic may have been dealt with already but I couldn't find it.
Do Kent offer a "12+ plus" exam for year 8. I believe that Bexley do.
Thanks
Thanks to all who replied to me about NVR and the one minute time-warning - still not got a definitve answer, I'll cope!
appealmum
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Some schools do. I know that Tunbridge Wells Boys, accept 12+ and 13+ candidates, but only if spaces. Skinners no longer does this.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

I have a friend whose son did not get a grammar place in Bexley, and she has been advised it would be possible for him to take the 12+ in a years time. I did not know the borough did such a thing, but it would seem it does! I don't know about Kent though.
Peter

Post by Peter »

You have the right to apply to any grammar school in Kent once each academic year - its usually best to enquire in the spring. Of course if the school is full, you are unlikely to secure a place!
interested

right to apply to grammar schools once a year

Post by interested »

that's useful to know Peter. Presumably until the sixth form, one would only be able to apply to a grammar school if you had passed the 11+. Or does the 11+ become irrelevant after Year 7 admissions? If so, what evidence of academic strength would the school look for if they were considering you for a place that had become vacant?

Post by Guest »

I moved into the area with my son and applied to TWGSB. He was made to sit exams in English, Maths and Science, not VR, NVR. In other words attainment was tested not potential. He did not pass and his subsequent performance at GCSE which was excellent leads me to believe it was the poor expectations of his previous school that let him down not his ability.

Of course this was under the old headmaster who seemed to treat the school as his private fiefdom.

I was fortunate enough to be able to pay for my son to go independent, not to a top performing school but at least one that gave him the framework and tools to succeed. But what of others who move into this stinking system?
Peter

Post by Peter »

If you make an application, The child will be freshly assessed by the school under what is called 'casual admissions'. Assessments vary and so do standards, partially depending on how keen the school is to admit new pupils. However, you still have the right of appeal, no matter what! Not all schools tell you this, although they are required to do so.

Post by Guest »

Peter, could you let me know whether this is the same for Medway grammars on an annual basis. My youngest son didn't pass this year, we are not appealing as we were not sure if he would have coped with the accelerated curriclum anyway at CGSB, where his brother currently goes. Just interested to know if he dramatically seems to excel next year.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Anonymous wrote:Peter, could you let me know whether this is the same for Medway grammars on an annual basis. My youngest son didn't pass this year, we are not appealing as we were not sure if he would have coped with the accelerated curriclum anyway at CGSB, where his brother currently goes. Just interested to know if he dramatically seems to excel next year.
Yes, this applies for all schools - even in Medway!