Putting down a HS when you have passed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frustrated

Re: Putting down a HS when you have passed

Post by frustrated »

I believe that Barton Court and Chatham House both came out as far as Herne Bay last year, but not the year before. If you put HBHS as a last choice and you are offered it then you can appeal for the GS(s) of your choice. You can appeal for any or all of them if you did end up in that situation, and I assume you could put in a late appeal for any other GSs that you didn't have on yur form, although I sincerely hope you don't end up in this situation.

I appealed for SLBS on an oversubscription and the panel didn't ask me if I had put the high school on my form. I had a stock answer ready anyway should they have asked, and that answer was that I checked with KCC and in fact, I wouldn't have been offered any Grammar school anyway regardless of whether or not I had more on my form as not a single one of them had come out as far as the part of Whtistable I live in.

I think that if you did have to appeal, whether or not you had a HS on your form is irrelevant as the GSs are a higher priority on your SCAF.

Fingers crossed for you, I'm sure everything will work out fine :D
bigchill

Post by bigchill »

We had a lengthy discussion with the admissions registrar at Chatham House, they refer to the Herne Bay area as their harvest ground for taking in year7 pupils. They had a lot taken in on appeal not because of their catchment area but because they didn't pass the 11+, 20% of girls to Clarendon last year went in on appeal. Not sure if this is a good thing!

Not sure about Dane Court, didnt like this anyway to much like a high school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If there are four spaces on the form and there are four grammar schools you might like and you are not guaranteed a place at any of them then you need to put a backup high school IF your preferred high school is one that fills up on 1 March and IF you do not want to be allocated the nearest high school with space on 1 March.

I haven't grasped why it matters to an appeal panel whether or not you put down a high school? What difference does that make to your appeal to a grammar?

And yes you can appeal to any grammar you did not put on the form, but you might be heard later than people who put it on the CAF which could put you at a disadvantage.

There always seems to be a big fuss on 1 March in your area when people don't get their grammar place, but is there really any child who passed over there who didn't ultimately (through waiting lists and appeals) get their grammar place?

It always sounds a bit like the Sevenoaks storm in a teacup. It does seem unlikely that there could be 4 grammar schools your child could attend and that you couldn't get a place at any of them.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

There always seems to be a big fuss on 1 March in your area when people don't get their grammar place, but is there really any child who passed over there who didn't ultimately (through waiting lists and appeals) get their grammar place?
I agree, I think that all children who passed and didn't orginally get a GS place did eventually get one in the end.
observer

Post by observer »

When we appealed (oversubscription - distance) for our DD, the appeal panel knew all the schools we had put on our SCAF...I remember them asking about why we put the other schools on the list and I had to explain that we thought we had to put 4 choices down...(that had been the advice the lady from KCC who had visited the primary school had given us)
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I have had similar experiences....we appealed for three schools and it was made clear at two of them that they knew the order on the scaf. They also knew the offered school !
mystery

Post by mystery »

I can't understand why it matters that the appeal panel know, and I can't understand why the waste time chatting about it at the appeal hearing. Who gives two hoots? Does anyone think it has changed the chances of winning at an appeal?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

tigger2 wrote:I have had similar experiences....we appealed for three schools and it was made clear at two of them that they knew the order on the scaf. They also knew the offered school !
Yes same experience here - the panel knew which schools were on our SCAF and which we had been allocated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now