Kent 2012 Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Kent 2012 Test

Post by doodles »

Thought I would start this for all of us starting out on the journey to September (?) 2012.

DS2 is Yr4 and we are limbering up gently, a few gentle stretches!

Have just bought the bond books and since my last foray into the 11+ they have published VR and NVR puzzle books - DS2 loves puzzles so it's not really like work :?

Still haven't decided whether to tutor or not - with DS1 had made the decision already by this stage but different child = different approach? I don't know this time.

What stage is everybody else at?
scarlett

Re: Kent 2012 Test

Post by scarlett »

Hi Doodles, my ds 2 will be taking the 11 plus in 2012 too. I've also bought the bond puzzle book, but ds 1 has taken a fancy to it probably much to ds 2 relief !!

I am just going over a bit of maths and english at the moment.His main problem is he hates reading fiction, I've tried all kinds of books, but he just isn't interested, he reads nature/ history books avidly but i'm now thinking he won't have a great expanse of vocab which is needed for the vr.So, i'm reading to him a lot....I feel frazzled what with him and his sister.....still needs must !! :D
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

DD2 is in Year 7. I was taking a break before I started with DD3. But reading this thread has scared me :( . Better start, I suppose.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I was scared too, that's why I started it. :lol:

Everybody around me seems to have started and I only bought the books on Monday!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

keep it being fun and doing "puzzles" no need to start papers yet though...

I know I keep whittering on about this.....

Tables and mental maths! (maths) there are lots of really good free online games to speed up recall.

Scrabble (with dictionary), boggle and all sorts of word games (VR)

Jigsaws and spot the difference type games Mahjong type online games. (NVR)

also puzzle solving games like Professor Layton.
:D

tuition? what tuition? :wink:
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Still haven't decided whether to tutor or not - with DS1 had made the decision already by this stage but different child = different approach? I don't know this time.
I can really relate to that! DS1 had no tutoring, passed 11+. DS2............ now I'm under pressure! I am going to be doing something with him, but what? Which approach? How much? Too much? Too little? None? Some? Books? Tutor? (no, scrap that one, can't afford it :( ) Are the Practice papers I have enough on their own or do I need something else? Oooh.......... :?

In regards to the practice papers I have, I am thinking of just going through them together at first, then leaving him to it and going over questions he gets wrong before starting timed tests nearer the time of the test. Or maybe time them once he gets started on his own? Oh, I don't know!

He has already looked at the NVR and did surprisingly well, showed me up - I am NOT smarter than a ten year old! :lol:

Now that I know he can do the NVR relatively easily (more practice would still be a good thing though) I can concentrate on the Maths and VR. We've not looked at those together yet, so all hands to the deck.......
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've got a 2012 child as well. I had't contemplated doing anything. Just yet apart tables etc.

Reading -how about WImpy kid books, BEastquest. My. Ds liked Rose and izzy, about sheepdogs. My dh always likes My family and other animals - grald duress - phaps read this to him.

Sorry about poor typing - I'm in a car on an iPad!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Wimpy Kidd, Beast Quest etc etc etc - all in our house to PC. Just been to T...o and bought him the David Walliams book and a Wimpy Kid (buy one get one free there on some books at mo). Just want him to enjoy reading.

As I said just in pre-warm up at the moment - perhaps this bit is for me trying to get my head around having to do it all over again :lol:
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Doodles, that sounds just like me again. Thankfully this is the last time I'll be doing this though, thank goodness.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

pheasantchick wrote:
Sorry about poor typing - I'm in a car on an iPad!
Other hand on the steering wheel I hope
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now