Dartford Girls Grammar - category 4 - "girls in the parishes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mrsnonsmoker

Dartford Girls Grammar - category 4 - "girls in the parishes

Post by mrsnonsmoker »

Hi I have a really specific query not sure if anyone is around to answer: does anyone know (roughly) the lowest score that gained admission to Dartford Girls under the "parishes" criteria last year? So, for example, last year "any other girls" (category 5) had to get at least 413 and I understand that will be higher this year. So I was thinking category 4 would be roughly 400. Or maybe not. I know I can ring the school to ask but not till 31st!

Any comments welcome, thanks.
Lass

Re: Dartford Girls Grammar - category 4 - "girls in the pari

Post by Lass »

The way I understand it, if girls live in named parishes they need to have passed 11+ but score does not matter. Once they have taken all the applicants from the named parishes, any additional places are offered to the out of area girls with highest scores.
mrsnonsmoker

Post by mrsnonsmoker »

Unfortunately not as far as I can make out from the papers we were given at the open day - last year, for example, 140 girls applied under "the parishes" and only 80 got in - the over-subscription criteria within the parishes is total score. And yes, the "other girls" category 5 is also on score. I do hope you are right and I am wrong though - that would help us!
Floridafan

Post by Floridafan »

I think the issue here is that there were 605 applications ( if I've read it right) and 113 of those were non selective.

You cannot stop somebody putting a school down (think appeals as well), so I presume there were 113 applications from non selective children for DGSG.

For example, band 3 is residing within a mile...33 out of 36 were accepted......I guess the other three were from non selectives.......

So for the parishes there were 81 out of 140

If you pass the eleven + and live in a Dartford Parish , the score only comes into it if that band is over subscribed.....and if a score is tied , its then distance.

So you should be ok, unless there are hundreds of eligible "parish" children.

I thinks that's right!!!
mrsnonsmoker

Post by mrsnonsmoker »

Thanks Florida, but what do you think - that to me means 140 girls applied from the parishes, and only 80 of those got in. So why didn't the other 60 get in? As I understand it, the non selective girls (and you are right, people still apply even though they didn't pass, for various reasons) had already been taken out of the figures by the time the "140 in the parishes" came up, so as I see it, the 60 didn't get in as that category, category 4, was oversubscribed and so they took the top 80.

Does that sound right?
Floridafan

Post by Floridafan »

I get your point.......but there is no mention of a cap anywhere with regards to the bands........

I can only think they may have opted for other schools? Independents/other Grammars etc...... but that's an awfully high figure.....60 out of 140.

Perhaps if you contact the admissions manager for DGSG she may be able to shed some light on it......according to 2011/2 figures it shouldn't have reached Catergory 5 (outside Dartford), as there were over 160 "eligible" applicants in the higher bands......yet 27 out of 406 came from this Cat 5 route.....

Hopefully we're ok, as we're within a mile.......
mrsnonsmoker

Post by mrsnonsmoker »

I'm really glad you can see what I mean, I thought I was going mad! Yes you should be fine within the mile. Unless anyone comes up with a big magic wand of answers this week I am going to have to wait till Monday to call.
Floridafan

Post by Floridafan »

Be really interested to hear the reason for the 81 out of 140 for the Parishes.....

I'm trying to think of another valid reason.....could it be 140 eligible girls put down DGSG on their SAF or completed the supplementry form? Rather than solely as first choice?? That way you would lose a few to other Grammars etc
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I'm not sure where you have got the figures from but quite often the figures quoted are children who have named the school on their SCAF. Parents may have put DGSC 2nd, 3rd or 4th but got offered their 1st choice of another school. For example in the secondary school admissions book it always looks like Leigh Acadamy has 900+ applicants but this figure takes into account ALL children who have put Leigh as one of their four choices not just those who put it as their first. As you may know the schools don't know where you have ranked them on your SCAF. Hope that makes sense but as i say i don't know where your figures have come from so i may be completly wrong :lol:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Fluffy66 is correct they are including all positions on the caf.
With the exception of that 1st mile, all parish girls are offered places before any oob.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now