Togs admission policy to change next year.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jolly Togger

Post by Jolly Togger »

It is not always the case that you might need higher marks if you are out of area. The marks required (both for in-area and out-of-area) depend on the number of applications and the marks scored within each cohort. I think this year, you "only" needed to score 404 if you were out of area as opposed to 410 if you were in the area! Personally I dont see the logic in their system. If they are going to rank by scores then why not forget catchment areas altogether, and just cream off the top of the lot? :?
Out-of-area

Togs admission policy to change next year

Post by Out-of-area »

Not sure the TOGS cut-off mark for out-of-area is correct. From previous threads and on the grapevine it seems that out-of-area girls with less than 410 did not get a place on initial allocation. However, out-of-area girls with lower scores who were on the waiting list may well now have been offered places rejected by others. Haven't heard much about this though.
mother

Post by mother »

TOGS out of area cut off on March 1 was 403 - information supplied on that day by the headmistress.
Jolly Togger

Post by Jolly Togger »

neurotic kent mum wrote:... would her sister (in 3 years time) still have sister 'status' ... Just interested as went for Toggs when sister status existed.
Are you thinking that there might be a grace period allowed, for those who have siblings currently at the school (and were therefore admitted under the old rules)? I can't find that situation referred to in the new admissions code, but it does seem a reasonable position to take. :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

'fraid most things implemented by this government are immediate and rarely have grace periods - however sensible they might seem

Post by Guest »

The new School Admissions Code REQUIRES all admissions authorities (that includes Foundation Schools such as TOGS) to implement its rules fully for admissions in 2008.

Parents of higher scoring girls who are currently losing out to siblings with lower scores will feel the new ruling is fair. My experience and all logic says that any change in admission rules for schools with a fixed number of entrants produces a winner who thinks the change is good, to counterbalance every child who loses out.
Jolly Togger

Post by Jolly Togger »

Thanks, Guest, I think you make a fair point re winners and losers. Personally I dont think the new admissions code is unreasonable in the case of TOGs. It will be interesting to see what impact it makes on the decisions made by future parents with more than one daughter. It might depress demand for the school somewhat.