Alpha Series

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dottie1974

Alpha Series

Post by dottie1974 »

Hello :D

I have been given VR & NVR multiple choice packs of Alpha Series papers. Does anyone know if these are relevant for the Kent Test? I have never heard of them before and can't see them on shop here. They are by R & S Educational Services.

I do have some Nfer papers but I do not want to start DD on these yet - I will save them up for nearer the time (September 2012).

Thanks in anticipation.

Dottie
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Alpha Series

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I'm not sure about your area but these papers are available here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/s ... rch&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;D
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Doh :oops: Yes they are available from the shop here - I was looking under 'Alpha Series' as the publisher not R&S. What hope does DD if I am that daft?!

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will be able to let me know if they are relevant.

Thanks
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

I guess no-one knows. :( Well, I think we will do them anyway then move on to Nfer. Hope all you other 2012ers are getting on ok. Time is going too quickly!
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi Dottie 1974,
I found the Alpha papers to be on the easy side, but good practice nonetheless and good for confidence building.
The "old Nfer" papers are more akin to the real thing, so those are good to do next. The GL assessment papers have a series 1 and 2 (or something like that). The 1st series is very good, but the 2nd should come with a "health warning" as they are a bit :evil: -grrh!! By this I mean they are quite hard and what I learnt last time through this wonderful forum is that , GL produce them in response to some boroughs requiring more challenging questions- not necessarily Kent! I didn't find this out until my DS had done them and his score had plummeted from the high 80's to the low 70's!
So leave that batch till last, but not too late.
Also be warned that the NVR papers in GL are even more :evil: :twisted: . Don't expect high scores on these, as they are extremely difficult to finish in the allocated time( I tried one myself and found that I wasted more time looking at the clock ticking away to see how much time I had left instead, of doing the questions)!
The Bond "How to do..." series is VERY good for ensuring that your Dc covers all the different types of NVR questions (and VR). I highly recommend going through the book at an even pace, before you DC tackles the papers.
Good luck and feel free to post any other questions you may have as I have plenty of time on my hands, twiddling my fingers waiting for Judgement day- I mean ALLOCATION DAY- March 1st!!

Regards
:D Layla22
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Thanks for the helpful reply Layla.

I haven't got or seen any of the new GL assessment papers so will buy some of these for nearer the time - did you explain to your child that they were harder and the drop in scores didn't mean they had gone backwards?

All the best to you on 1st March - what school/s are you hoping for?

Dottie
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi Dottie,
Yes I did explain. It was a relief!
His first choice is St Olave's and then Dartford Boy's.
What school are you hoping for?

Layla22
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hi Dottie,

I also used some Alpha books. I just wanted to give my DC as much variety as possible. I'm not in your area but would say go for it. :P
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

We have started using them and likes them so we will carry on with these for a bit before moving onto more challenging papers. It is good to have a bit of variety!

We are only looking at going for Highworth school, so 'only' need a pass.

Very best of luck to you on 1st March - make sure you post on here to let us know whch school your DS got into.
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi Dottie1974,
I'm not from your area, nevertheless we have used the Alpha Series (MATHS) my DD finds them really easy...
I like to give her a variety, this gives her confidence to try more challenging papers. :D