Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Post by ToadMum »

Please forgive a query from a "foreigner", but re year 9 entry, if this is a state secondary school, surely they cannot restrict entry at any point to children attending private schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

ToadMum wrote:Please forgive a query from a "foreigner", but re year 9 entry, if this is a state secondary school, surely they cannot restrict entry at any point to children attending private schools?

They don't restrict entry at any point to children attending private school. You can apply for year 9 entry from state schools.

I understand Angley have a grammar stream children can attend that for years 7 & 8 and then take the 13+ entrance for Cranbrook if they wish to (although I'm certain Angley wont encourage this, what school wants to lose all their bright pupils?).

Unfortunately not many (if any) state schools will prepare children for the 13+ so you have to put the work in yourself, but that is no different to the current position for those taking the 11+ from state schools which are prohibited from preparing children for entrance exams (unlike private prep schools in Kent many of which excel in preparing for 11+ and common entrance exams).

DaddyOh
mystery

Post by mystery »

The mummies Klmh referred to earlier had to be wrong / misguided or misled at a badly explained discussion.
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

anybody knows what sort of percentage can get you in Cranbrook, 80/90 % or over?

Also my previous question about Maths/VR and Englich part of exam. What percentages of points do each of those subjects take?
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

[quote="happyfeet666"]I attended the June meeting at Cranbrook School (don't think there has been one since) and they did in deed state that one option could be to take children at 11+ from designated state feeder primary schools , I'm sure they said these would be schools within their current catchment area, and then the 13 + intake would be from the prep schools.

Unfortunately Mystery, it seems that Cranbrook are looking at the options my prep school mummies were telling me about.

As I said before I do not know how they can have this admission criteria. My DD attends a primary school in East Sussex although we live in the CCA, so we wouldn't be eligible! You'll then have the situation where OOA parents send their DC to the schools purely for Cranbrook Admission. Perhaps the 13+ entrance via Prep schools is to ensure that they don't lose their pupils at 11?

I guess will just have to wait for clarification from Cranbrook School. Pointless worrying about something that my not even happen!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

They maybe could give priority in their admission policy to feeder state primaries at year 7 - personally I do not think that is fair but it is probably legal - but strange for a selective school. If cranbrook thinks that they can give priority to prep school applicants at 13 they need to get some advice and fast - I wonder if somebody was just a bit bumbling at whatever meeting they were discussing it and saying that prep school children who lived locally but were not at local state feeder primaries would get their chance at 13 - along with others. Think something has gone wrong in the telling here. The stuff the school has put on their website about expansion makes sense but they haven't referred to their thoughts on admission policies yet.

They are presumably trying to keep prep schools happy ( not sure why) by saying they will put feeder primaries in with priority at 11 to make it sound as though they will not be taking trade away from the prep schools that go up to 13.

It all sounds very political with a small p, but until they have got dfe permission for expansion perhaps they are not wishing to offend anyone. It would be very annoying if you lived locally and could not get in at 11 because your child did not attend a feeder primary, and it is not a method for selecting the best pupils either. Weird.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A couple of years ago, our local grammar schools had to change their catchment policies. Formerly, the criterion was "children attending primary schools within the Borough of Southend on Sea" - this included those attending private schools. The grammar schools were told that this was no longer allowed; they could nominate feeder schools, but these could only be state schools. The policy was then changed to one of residence, rather than school attendance, within a defined range of local postcodes now extending outside those within the Borough.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I had a look at the petition. A lot of people seem to be displeased with the head, as he seems to be focussing on academic success, and loosing the soul of the school.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

Oh dear. I bet the nearby prep schools are rubbing their hands with glee in anticipation of him leaving. They won't have to worry about losing their pupils at 11 rather than 13!

Must say though it is pretty unprofessional of the teachers to post comments about their head teacher on a petition. Surely there are better channels to go through?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now